Hi Aleks,

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 03:05:48AM +0200, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
> Well on the openshift commons list was a request for http://coap.technology/
> also to be able to use the udp thing.
> I don't know how populate this way is in iot

I have strong doubts about IoT staying on minimal protocols. The reason is
simple, IoT devices are extremely powerful at cheap prices, and the only
thing that consumes power is the radio so there's no point anymore limiting
their memory or CPU power. For example you may know the ESP8266 which is
extremely popular. I've been experimenting with them, I've soldered one in
one of the radiators of my living room. You can get them for less than $2.
They support very interesting protocols like MQTT which work over TCP, as
well as HTTP of course. In the end people implement web clients with them
to retrieve information from publicly available services. *This* is what
will ensure they'll all move to HTTP. This used to be a strong point we
made during the HTTP/2 design to request that TLS had to be optional :-)

> Maybe you haven't heard nginx 1.9.13 have the udp option now in there stream
> module
> http://nginx.org/en/docs/stream/ngx_stream_core_module.html
>
> I don't say that that's the reason to implement it just to inform you in
> case you haven't know it.

Oh yes I've heard about this as my boss immediately told us "ah, you see
there's a use case since nginx does it!". We said "no, the difference is
that they have customers and are doing marketing so they want to be seen
and they have to develop whatever their customers request even when that
does not make real sense".

If in the end we find a compelling use case, we'll know what to implement
(forwarding, load balancing, health checks, replication, etc).

Cheers,