Hey Willy,

On 4/19/2016 12:24 PM, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> Your patch looks fine but I'm a bit bothered by the choice of the syntax
> here which is neither really intuitive nor future-proof. I even suspect
> you had some head-scratching before coming to this.

That was the hardest part actually :) I didn't want to add complexity to
the parser there, but maybe it's time to do it as we'll probably want to
add more and more features.

> At least I'd have found it more natural to use "10c" than "10m" to specific
> a connection limit but anyway that's still something we might regret over
> the long term. Thus, what do you think about using a completely different
> syntax such as "maxconn:10" or "maxconn=10" ? It would allow to seamlessly
> extend the language without breaking compatibility with existing products.

I like the "maxconn:10" more, but if you think "=" is better, I'll do it
that way.

> On a side note, there is something important to mention in the documentation
> which is a side effect of doing this that most people do not realize. It
> currently affects protocols like ICAP. It's the fact that when a server
> advertises a maxconn to all of its clients (here the load balancers), it
> ends up with N times the expected maxconn.
>
> Thus I think we must make it very clear that the advertised value must
> absolutely be understood as *per load balancer*. Maybe in the future we'll
> want to support different words depending on whether we advertise the
> total maxconn the server supports or the per-client one (for when front
> LBs know how many they are).

OK, will mention that. I'll send a new patch soon(ish).

> Thanks,
> Willy

Regards,
Nenad