On 18 May 2016 at 16:18, Cyril Bonté <cyril.bo...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 19/05/2016 00:34, Maciej Katafiasz a écrit :
>> While potentially
>> confusing, forcing it to C is also confusing and prevents people from
>> actually exploiting locale should they want to, and traditionally the
>> Unix approach was to let the administrator get the locale right, so
>> it's also more consistent with how other software does it.
>

> Which ones ? As previously said, nor apache httpd and nginx do that with
> their respective "include" directive, at least. Why would we want to make it
> differently ?

Postgresql for example, and many other commonly used pieces of unix
code. Like shell, as was originally pointed out.

>> It's
>> documented that way too, so your patch constitutes a design change,
>> which I feel should be argued for with a bit more rationale.
>

> It only reverts to the original design.

Right, I got confused about the context of the change, and missed the
fact it was within the config dir patch only. Still, both approaches
have their downsides, as also mentioned. That said, not touching
existing configs is probably the better side to err on, so I withdraw
my objections.

I'd spend a bit more text on explaining the implications of collation
in C locale vs user locale though, change "LC_COLLATE=C" in the docs
to "C locale" because the code does not actually consult LC_COLLATE,
clarify what "lexical order" means in the context of multiple
directories (ie. whether all files found are sorted together before
including, or only within the containing directory, with the order of
directories passed determining the order of inclusion), and that
directories are *not* scanned recursively (which is my understanding
of the intended design).

Cheers,
Maciej