On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 02:11:39PM -0700, Roberto Guimaraes wrote:
> My apologies and thanks for the heads up! I will revert it on my end as well.
> Weird, nginx seems to have the same unconditional DH_free in there.

I had no problem with this on my laptop with openssl 1.0.1 and the
few tests we made on a few distros caused no problem either. However
in addition to the definitive crashes we're seeing on 1.0.2, we got
reports of crashes on 1.0.1 on centos (which might possibly backport
a few extra fixes or improvements from 1.0.2). So all I'd say is that
in its current form it doesn't look safe for the long term to use
even on your distro.

Also regarding the fact that Nginx does the same, maybe it allocates
its equivalent of the local_dh1024 differently and is always allowed
to free it.

You may be interested in testing RĂ©mi's fix instead (after you revert
yours) and compare. His explanation makes a lot of sense to me (with
my very limited understanding of openssl). I don't want to backport
it *now* into 1.6 to avoid emitting a new broken version as a fix for
the existing one but once we're confident enough in the fix I'm fine
with doing it.