Hi Steven,

On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 09:20:10PM +0100, Steven Le Roux wrote:
> Hi a first good coverage for a comparison between 1.5 and 1.6 would be
> http://blog.haproxy.com/2015/10/14/whats-new-in-haproxy-1-6/
>
> 1.6 is perfectly considered stable and hasn't seen any maintenance
> release for more than 2 months. It's being widely used so I would be
> confident with it. It brings many improvements and features (libslz,
> lua, server states checkpointing,...) over 1.5

I need to emit 1.6.10 since we finally tackled the last two peers bugs
and the last systemd bugs, but that's all. I consider that 1.6 really
reached its stable status with 1.6.9 which was the first one to kill
all *known* bugs. And interestingly, the bugs we see now on 1.6 often
also affect 1.5 so we've reached the regular maintenance stage where
bugs hit randomly without a marked preference for the last version.

I don't use 1.5 anymore either.

> For many "not so much critical" project I use to build the last dev
> snapshot (from 1.7) since it helps testing the next release and it's
> pretty stable too.

In fact development on 1.7 has been relatively quiet in part due to
the numerous bugs we faced on early 1.6, and the fact that it got
some internal improvements like filters and various keyword registration
mechanisms making it easier to "plug" code into standard places using
standardized hooks, limiting the need to touch sensitive areas. I tend
to consider that even with the very latest changes, 1.7 should be almost
as stable as 1.6. By the way when you look at the commit tags between
1.6 and 1.7, it's obvious that bug fixes represent a huge part of it,
thus 1.7 is 1.6++ :-)

    191 BUG
    175 MINOR
     70 MEDIUM