Hi Willy,

--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages.
Fingerprint: 110A F423 3647 54E2 880F ADAD 1C52 85BF B20A 22F9

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a number of
electrons were inconvenienced.

> On 1 Jan 2017, at 09:22, Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 11:28:12AM +0000, David Harrigan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has there been any discussion in or around adding a "Select All" checkbox
>> to the Stats dashboard to help administrators action a bunch of servers
>> quickly (e.g., to mark all the nodes in a backend as being in maintenance).
>
> I seem to remember we had some discussion about this many years ago when
> these checkboxes were implemented. I suspect that one limit we identified
> was that large farms could cause huge requests to be sent, which will
> possibly be rejected. But that's not that big of an issue after all.
>
> I recently had the same need in fact and found it too bad not to have it.
>
>> I've had a look at stats.c and it does look like it could be relatively
>> straightforward to add (I've wrote the patch already). The only downside
>> would be the inclusion of a small bit of inline Javascript that would tick
>> all the individual checkboxes when the "Select All" checkbox is selected.
>> In total, there are no new lines of code, just a few modifications to 2
>> lines of existing code in stats.c.
>>
>> I notice that presently, the stats page does not contain any Javascript and
>> that is a good thing! However, perhaps a small exception can be made for
>> this specific purpose?
>
> I don't think it's an issue here as long as it's not mandatory. In the worst
> case if JS is disabled/not available, you continue to manually check all the
> boxes like today. However you need to be careful about the code you add so
> that it is only static and is not generated with information extracted from
> the page (eg: server names) otherwise it could be possible for hosted
> customers to indirectly inject some JS code into their hosting provider's
> browser by playing with their server names for example, which is not
> desirable :-)

Happy New Year and thank you for your feedback.

I think my patch may be safe, it's a one liner of JS. However, I do have to
reference
the server names somewhere, and I do that by obtaining the contents of the
px-id
(and ST_F_PXNAME) variables.

What do you think? The patch may be dangerous? (I'm not that clued up on
JS injection tbh). I would be happy to use a different way if you can suggest
something?

Luckily, if JS is disabled on the browser, the "select all" checkbox won't do
anything :-)

-=david=-