Hi Matt,

Am 16.03.2017 um 21:29 schrieb Matt Jamison:
So from what I can find, mode http and alpn h2 are not supported together?

That's not it. HTTP/2 is not supported in any haproxy release, period.

That fact that you can tunnel arbitrary TCP payload through haproxy, while TLS terminating on the frontend and negotiation an arbitrary higher protocol in NPN or ALPN doesn't make H2 "supported" in TCP mode. It means haproxy is flexible enough to tunnel ANY higher-layer protocol through, including protocols negotiated via npn or alpn. That doesn't mean haproxy understands the higher layer protocol though.

alpn h2 is only supported with mode tcp? I get no errors with my config, so I don't know what is unsupported.

You can specify ANY string for NPN or ALPN negotiation. You can negotiation h3 or spdy/0.01 if you feel like it. You are responsible to understand what happens next though.

I need mode http so I can insert cookies and do other things not supported in mode tcp.

If someone could give me a definitive yes or no, i would be most grateful.

Definitely no.

In the 1.7 tarball neither the doc/configuration.txt, nor CHANGELOG mention HTTP/2, while it still is an item in ROADMAP.

If mode http and alpn h2 aren't supported together, do we know if any release in the near future will support it? I thought it was coming in 1.7 but I can't find any documentation on it.

Currently H2 frontend support is planned for 1.8 (but it's not there yet).
I'm sure somewhere along the line it was indeed planned for 1.7, so you are not wrong when you say you read this somewhere, but in the end things didn't turn out this way.

Regards,

Lukas