Am 19-04-2017 05:51, schrieb Willy Tarreau:
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:55:46PM +0200, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
Why not reuse the upcoming http/2 format.
HTTP/2 is *easy* to parse and the implementations of servers are growing?

Are you kidding ? I mean you want everyone to have to implement HPACK etc ?

Well there are a currently lot of http/2 servers out there, but I understand your concerns.

I know this is still on the todo list but I think this is worth to go
instead to add another protocol.

Or we can take a look into grpc, which is on top of http/2 with protobuffer.
http://www.grpc.io/

As I take more time to think in this direction why not add a grpc filter
like the spoa filter?
Opinions?

Code generators are always a pain to deal with. It reminds me the old days when I was using rpcgen. And grpc doesn't provide a C implementation so that
kills it :-)

Yeah I have also seen that they prefer c++, c#, go and other languages but not offer a c lib. This is strange just because the core is written in c, but I don't need to understand everything ;-)

Thierry told me he's going to implement a simple TLV-like list which will
be much easier to implement and easy to code on both sides.

@Thierry:
Ah something like netstrings ?
https://cr.yp.to/proto/netstrings.txt

I personally
think that adding dependencies on tons of libs to implement simple stuff is more of a problem than an help even for implementors, because when you start to enter some dependency hell or version incompatibilities, it's a
real pain, especially when it was done only to find how to implement
just a small list. These things are useful if you want to implement heavy
inter-application communications but it's not really the case here.

I got you.

Cheers,
Willy

Regards