Am 19-04-2017 11:24, schrieb Thierry Fournier:
On 19 Apr 2017, at 09:16, Aleksandar Lazic <al-hapr...@none.at> wrote:

Am 19-04-2017 05:51, schrieb Willy Tarreau:
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:55:46PM +0200, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
Why not reuse the upcoming http/2 format.
HTTP/2 is *easy* to parse and the implementations of servers are growing?
Are you kidding ? I mean you want everyone to have to implement HPACK etc ?

Well there are a currently lot of http/2 servers out there, but I understand your concerns.

I know this is still on the todo list but I think this is worth to go
instead to add another protocol.
Or we can take a look into grpc, which is on top of http/2 with protobuffer.
http://www.grpc.io/
As I take more time to think in this direction why not add a grpc filter
like the spoa filter?
Opinions?
Code generators are always a pain to deal with. It reminds me the old days when I was using rpcgen. And grpc doesn't provide a C implementation so that
kills it :-)

Yeah I have also seen that they prefer c++, c#, go and other languages but not offer a c lib. This is strange just because the core is written in c, but I don't need to understand everything ;-)

Thierry told me he's going to implement a simple TLV-like list which will
be much easier to implement and easy to code on both sides.

@Thierry:
Ah something like netstrings ?
https://cr.yp.to/proto/netstrings.txt

Hi thanks for the link. I do not like this encoding because it is not easy to parse. I must read ascii representation of numbers and convert-it. I prefer simple binary format, with length (encoding in the same way than the SPOE
protocol) and value.

Thanks for clarification.

Hi, the main goal is providing:
 - a format easy to decode
 - not adding lot of dependencies to haproxy

That's very polite.

So, after brainstorm, I propose:

- remove all data already accessible via existing sample-fetches from the new
   sample-fetch introduced by my previous patch. These data are:
method, path, query string, http-version and the body. All of these data are available in some sample fetches and it will be great to reuse it. Note that
   the only data which keep are the headers.

- For the headers I propose two format: The first format is for general use. It
   is simply the header block in the same format that we received
(with the final
   \r\n for detecting truncated header bloc)

 - For header I propose also a binary format like this:
   <number of headers>
   [
      <header name length><header name content>
      <header value length><header value content>
   ]…
This format is easy to decode because each length is encoded with the SPOE numeric values encoding method, so it is always embedded in SPOE client.

The SPOE message description will become

   spoe-message check-request
      uniqueid args method path query req.ver req.hdrs_bin
req.body_size req.body

uniqueid is a string which allow to do matching between the mod
security logs and
         the haproxy logs. I propose the uniqueid, but this string can
be another
think like an header containing a uniqueid previously generated.

req.hrds_bin is the header bloc in binary format.

req.body_size is the advertised size of the body and it is used to
determine if the
              body is full or truncated.

Looks good to me.

Regards
Aleks

Thierry

I personally
think that adding dependencies on tons of libs to implement simple stuff is more of a problem than an help even for implementors, because when you start to enter some dependency hell or version incompatibilities, it's a
real pain, especially when it was done only to find how to implement
just a small list. These things are useful if you want to implement heavy
inter-application communications but it's not really the case here.

I got you.

Cheers,
Willy

Regards