On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 11:04:35AM +0200, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> On 05/29/2017 02:58 PM, John Dison wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > in ROADMAP I see:
> > - spare servers : servers which are used in LB only when a minimum farm
> > weight threshold is not satisfied anymore. Useful for inter-site LB with
> > local pref by default.
> >

> > Is it possible to push this item priority to get it done for 1.8 please?
> > It looks like it should not require major code refactoring, just another LB
> > scheme.
> >
> > What I want to achieve is an ability to route request to "local" pool until
> > is get some
> > pre-defined maximum load, and route extra request to "remote" pool of
> > servers.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> +1 as I also find it very useful. But I am afraid it is too late for 1.8.

I'd love to have it as well for the same reasons. I think by now it
shouldn't be too complicated to implement anymore, but all the usual
suspects are busy on more important devs. I'm willing to take a look
at it before 1.8 is released if we're in time with everything planned,
but not more. However if someone wants to give it a try and doesn't
need too much code review (which is very time consuming), I think this
could get merged if the impact on existing code remains low (otherwise
postponed to 1.9-dev).

In the mean time it's quite possible to achieve something more or less
similar using two backends, one with the local servers, one with all
servers, and to only use the second backend when the first one is full.
It's not exactly the same, but can sometimes provide comparable results.