I've been working on a change to Synapse[1] to allow it to use the
"set server addr" directive to reserve a large(ish) pool of servers in
a backend and dynamically set server host/ports into that pool as they
come and go, which would significantly reduce the number of restarts
we have to do during code deployments. While implementing this I came
across a problem where I can't figure out how to dynamically update
the server name (server->id internally), which is important because
the only host/port information on the stats page is the name afaik.
The stats page is frequently used in my org to debug which servers are
up or down so having nice names that say where a server is (basically
the address) would be useful. Also, historically Synapse and other
tooling has used the server name to figure out which hosts and ports
already have server lines but I can work around this by using "show
stats" and actually using the addr field instead of the name field.
But, having a nice human readable name is still good I think.

Towards this end I've written up a patch (mostly just cribbed from set
server fqdn) that updates the name for a server that enables:

Would that patch be generally useful or is there a better way to
update the server name? Or maybe this is already possible and I just
don't know how? I'm happy to make any needed changes.

Thanks!
-Joey Lynch

[1] https://github.com/airbnb/synapse