On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Joseph Lynch <joe.e.ly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, I didn't realize that id was the puid! Let me try that out!
>
> So just curious, if the puid is what we're using to uniquely identify
> servers, why can't we update the name dynamically? It seems like
> use-server and the like should use these puids rather than the names?
>
> -Joey

Because most configurations doesn't enforce the configuration 'id' (aka
server->puid). So the most reliable piece of information we have is what
the human has entered, hence the server "name" (aka server->id).
We may explore a way to improve things like, adding a flag when a
server->puid was enforced by configuration, so we know it's more reliable
than server->id and we should prefer using it first.

In a general manner, I think we should step back a bit and watch this
"server-state" feature from a different angle, because I have the feeling
that if we carry on like this, we may end up with a patchwork of exceptions
that may be boring to manage and understand at some point.
"server-state" is supposed to be used to give a new HAProxy process the
status the servers had in a previous running process.

Baptiste