Hello Dan,

> Hello all,
>

> I just want to confirm something regarding timeouts.  I have them set
> globally but have one application group which is requesting longer timeouts.
> Does setting them in a frontend override the global timeouts?

You mean the default section, not the global section. The global
section does not accept any timeouts.

Local timeouts will overrite default settings if they are valid for
the specific section.

As per the documentation, "timeout client" belongs to the frontend,
"timeout connect" and "timeout server" belong to the backend. If you
set it in the appropriate section, then yes, it will overrite the
default sections:
http://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/1.7/configuration.html#timeout%20client
http://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/1.7/configuration.html#4.2-timeout%20connect
http://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/1.7/configuration.html#4.2-timeout%20server

> Also, what are the downsides to setting the timeouts to some large timeframe.

Obsolete sessions are kept around for longer. Depending on your
use-case and resource constraints, that may be a problem. You would
hit maxconn, leading to queueing or queue timeouts (503 error). Or if
maxconn is misconfigured, this may lead to out of memory situations
(swapping, OOM killing haproxy, etc).

>  They are asking for 600 seconds which sounds excessive to me.

Don't know your application, your traffic patters, your maxconn and
RAM configurations, so I can't really comment on whether this is
excessive or not. Also, which timeout are they asking you to raise and
for what reason? There are other, more specific timeouts than
client/connect/server, which may be more appropriate depending on the
problem they are trying to solve (for example: timeout http-keep-alive
or timeout http-request).

regards,
lukas