Thank you Marc for fast reply,

yes we have monitoring deployed in place and are aware of this possibility.

Though we thought implementation in haproxy would have several benefits

   - easy configuration (no need to integrate scripts with nagios on every
   node)
   - as we use permanent connection the periodic nature of monitoring
   checks can miss (and probably will as the connections are immediately
   re-established if possible) a connection break-up

Haproxy already is great!! at moniroting and health-checking backends, and
extending mailers would give a new range of interesting possibilities.

This was intended more as a feature idea, just to draw our use-case in case
others would share it.

Thank you again,
Vladimir

--