So I tried debugging this a little further; in listener.c I added some
debug output around the sections where actconn is in-/decreased.
As light test traffic is running, I can see the following (took a few
hours):

(...)
Increased actconn to 1 (in line 611)
Decreased actconn to 0 (in line 682)
Decreased actconn to -1 (in line 627)

Out of many thousand occurences of modifying actconn, there's a single
instance of actconn getting decreased in line 627, so apparently the
accept returned with an unexpected value. Unfortunately, I missed
getting the output of "show errors" before terminating the process.
Hints on how to debug this better would be appreciated.

Regards,
J.