It will be important to know which behavior AWS's Route53/DNS servers use ?

Using stock Debian/Stretch BIND9 (1:9.10.3.dfsg.P4-12.3+deb9u4), we see
haproxy downing backend servers with
"Server<foo> is going DOWN for maintenance (unspecified DNS error)."
https://github.com/haproxy/haproxy/search?q=unspecified+dns+error

We're expecting/testing to see if bind9's "no-case-compress { any; }"
directive
addresses this, but many folks do not control their DNS services (and as
requisite
AWS/Route53 capabilities mature, neither will we).