Well after having read your thread that's disappointing.  An alternative
solution to forcing healthchecks before the bind It would be nice to have
an option to initially start all servers in the down state unless
explicitly loaded as up via a "show servers state
/load-server-state-from-file" option.

Additionally, in a "seamless reload" configuration as we are using, would
it be possible for the new haproxy to complete a healthcheck on backends
after it has bound to the socket, but before it has signaled the old
haproxy, or am I missing another gotcha there.

Also we are doing all this using 1.8.7.

Thanks,
Dave