Hello Shawn,

please keep the mailing-list in the loop.

On 16 April 2018 at 16:53, Shawn Heisey <hapr...@elyograg.org> wrote:
>> Having said that, you'd be better off setting the server to
>> maintenance mode instead of letting the health check fail (via
>> webinterface or stats socket):
>>

>> http://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/1.5/configuration.html#9.2-set%20server
>

> The back end servers don't know anything about the load balancer.  And since
> the load balancer does send them requests from the Internet, I think it
> would be a potential security issue if it was able to affect the load
> balancer -- that load balancer handles a lot more than just this service.

I don't follow? Why is using a restricted admin socket a security issue?

You are already exposing the admin socket locally in your
configuration on line 16:
stats socket /etc/haproxy/stats.socket level admin

My suggestion was to use that admin interface to send the "set server" command.

> The disable-on-404 setting that Jarno mentioned might do what we need.  I
> will give it a try.  That's very easy to do in my application.

Yes, that may be more elegant depending on the environment, the final
result is the same: to put the server into maintenance mode.

> I have placed a slightly redacted version of my config here:

I think your original issue may be due to the "retries 1"
configuration you have in there. I would recommend removing that.

Regards,
Lukas