Hello,

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 at 14:30, Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 01:48:01PM +0200, Tim Düsterhus wrote:
> > This would solve the issue for my use case and should not break anything
> > (a few UNKNOWNs will become TCP6 then).
>
> OK.
>
> > I can rework the patch, if technical changes look good to you. There's a
> > ton of memcpy in there to not destroy the data structures needed for the
> > actual communication: make_proxy_line() now always operates on a copy of
> > `struct connection remote`.
>
> I don't see why a copy could be needed, given that you should never have
> to modify anything in the source. Or maybe it's because it was more
> convenient to store the remapped addresses ? In this case I think that
> it's still cleaner to have two local struct sockaddr_storage that you
> can use for the operations. Another option, which I *thought* we had but
> am probably wrong on this, was to first check the source+destination
> address classes before deciding what to emit. (or maybe it's done in the
> PPv2 format) :
>
>      if (src_is_v4 && dst_is_v4)
>           /* emit_v4(src, dst) */
>      else if (src_is_v6 && dst_is_v6)
>           /* emit_v6(src, dst) */
>      else if (src_is_v6 && dst_is_v4)
>           /* emit_v6(src, 4to6(dst)) */
>      else if (src_is_v4 && dst_is_v6)
>           /* emit_v6(4to6(src), dst) */
>      else
>           /* emit_unknown()*/
>
> So in practice you always need only one temporary sockaddr_storage for
> a conversion.
>
> I'm personally fine with something roughly like this. Lukas, I'm interested
> in your opinion on this one, as I *think* it addresses the issues without
> introducing new ones.

However if I read the pseudo-code correctly, we will still transform a
v4 src to v6 src, when the destination is v6? I don't like
transforming the address family at all - but I realize the proxy
protocol needs a single AF for both source and destination, which
means we need to compromise and the proposed solution is the best
compromise as far as I can see.

Agreed.

cheers,
lukas