According to the HAProxy 1.8 documentation:
  http://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/1.8/configuration.html#7.1

~~~~
  - "dir"   : subdir match : check that a slash-delimited portion of the
              contents exactly matches one of the provided string patterns.
              This may be used with binary or string samples.
[...]
  - subdir match    (-m dir) : the patterns are looked up inside the extracted
    string, delimited with slashes ("/"), and the ACL matches if any of them
    matches.
~~~~

It is unclear if the math happens with the pattern "rooted" (i.e. the
pattern must also be a prefix) or not?

More exactly given an ACL of the form:
~~~~
acl subdir path() -m dir -- /test
~~~~

Which of the following would it match:
* `/test` -- I would expect yes;
* `/test/whatever` -- I would expect yes;
* `/whatever/test` -- I would expect no, however it does (at least in 1.8.14)...

Thanks,
Ciprian.