Hi guys,

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 10:53:21PM +0100, Jerome Magnin wrote:
> Hi Vincent,

> > > Good catch, the patch looks obviously good, I've just merged it.
> > > Thanks for fixing this one, Jérôme.
> >
> > Is it important enough for an 1.8.16? Is it important enough for
> > distributors to release a fixed version? Why doesn't it affect most DNS
> > implementations?
>
> the bug only triggers when the resolver used by haproxy sends back DNS
> with nothing after the Answers section, ie: no additional records. I'm
> guessing
> the use of DNSSEC hides the problem :-) I must get better with commit
> messages.

I think we should indeed emit a new version. Not because I think the
feature is important, but because the persons who upgrade to 1.8.15 and
see their DNS fail might want to roll back to 1.8.14 which still had a
number of bugs, including the DNS ones.

Well, to be honest, if they are exposed to the 1.8.14 DNS bugs, then their
whole infrastructure is vulnerable because quite frankly, making your LB
adjust its farm based on spoofable public DNS responses is foolish and
those who do this really deserve to run into problems to learn the basics
of security the hard way... When you can spoof a response, there's much
more fun playing with advertisements to route the traffic anywhere than
trying to crash the process in my opinion! I predict that if there are
any such deployments, we won't hear about them because their authors
will be a bit ashamed and won't want to take the risk to expose their
servers :-)

Thus in the end the 1.8.15 regression only hits non-vulnerable users
who didn't care about the previous bugs and that's really bad.

Let's find a moment to work on this tomorrow.

Cheers,