Hi Luke,

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 05:16:04PM +0000, Luke Seelenbinder wrote:
> Hi Willy,
>
> This is all very good to hear. I'm glad you were able to get to the bottom of
> it all!
>
> Feel free to send along patches if you want me to test before the 1.9.3
> release. I'm more than happy to do so.

OK so instead of sending you a boring series, I can propose you to run
a test on 2.0-dev, which contains all the fixes I had to go through
because of tiny issues everywhere related to this. If you're using git,
just clone the master and checkout commit f7a259d46f8.
you can simply wait for the next nightly snapshot.

Just let me know if that's OK for you.

I found a number of issues that were causing server aborts, mainly
due to the late GOAWAY frame. Once we hit this one, the connection
is quickly closed by the server, causing our output packets to be
rejected and the connection to be in error. I have not yet investigated
in details to see if the close happens after we got the last data or in
the middle though. But now you have a new server parameter called
"max-reuse". This allows to limit the number of times a server connection
is reused. For example you can set it to 990 when you know that the
server limits to 1000.

On the tests I've run here, I managed to address all the problems
related to excessive use of idle connections resulting in too many
streams being sent. In addition most of the rare cases that still
happen when you don't have max-reuse are properly handled as a retry.

Regarding the fact that in your case the client's close seems to cause
the server-side issue, I couldn't yet reproduce it though I have a few
theories about it. One of them would be an unexpected response from
the server causing the connection to turn to an error state. The other
one would be that we'd incorrectly abort our stream and/or session and
bring the connection down with us. I'll submit these theories to Olivier
once he's back so that he can tell me I'm saying crap regarding some of
them and we can focus on what remains :-)