From: "Pavlos Parissis" <pavlos.paris...@gmail.com>
To: "Nick Ramirez" <nrami...@haproxy.com>
Sent: 7/3/2019 10:44:11 AM
Subject: Re: The case for changing the documentation syntax

On Δευτέρα, 1 Ιουλίου 2019 5:01:33 Μ.Μ. CEST Nick Ramirez wrote:
 Hello all,

[...snip...]

 The solution I am proposing:

 Rather than using a home-grown, difficult to parse,
 not-consistently-used grammar. We should use a standard. We should use
 reStructuredText: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html
 <http://>

 The reStructuredText syntax gives us the following benefits:

 * It is well documented
 * Tools exist to parse this and convert it to other formats (such as
 HTML)
 * Tools exist that will "error check" the document to ensure that the
 correct syntax is used throughout configuration.txt (which would become
 configuration.rst)
 * Tools such as Jekyll can easily parse reStructuredText and build
 sophisticated, beautiful webpages that feature search functionality,
 table-of-contents, images, graphs, links, etc. We could really start to
 make the documentation shine!
 * We won't have to worry about updating special tools because
 reStructuredText syntax will allow us to reliably parse it forever
 * reStructuredText is still easily human-readable using a terminal,
 plain-text editor, etc.

 I and others are fully willing to make the conversion to
 reStructuredText, too. What do you all think?

+1 from me. asciidoctor is something you should have a look at and consider as
well.
I know that people don't like markdown, but it is very simple to use and that
is, sometimes, more
important than standards and etc.

My cents,
Pavlos