New RHEL 8 Crypto Configuration mentioned in:

From: Илья Шипицин <chipits...@gmail.com>

Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 5:34 AM

To: HAProxy <haproxy@formilux.org>

Subject: running haproxy with predefined security policies on RHEL8 ?

Hello,

do we have any experience of
https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/consistent-security-crypto-policies-red-hat-enterprise-linux-8

defines FUTURE configuration as:

no SHA-1 signatures

DH and RSA parameters minimum 3072

Norman Branitsky

Senior Cloud Architect

P: 416-916-1752

-----Original Message-----
From: Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:00 PM
To: HAProxy <haproxy@formilux.org>
Cc: eb...@haproxy.com; wlallem...@haproxy.com; remi.gaco...@powerdns.com
Subject: about Warning: Setting tune.ssl.default-dh-param to 1024

Hi all,

while running on a trivial test config in which I had enabled "zero-warning",
my process refused to start due to the good old warning "Setting
tune.ssl.default-dh-param to 1024 blah blah".

I was almost certain we discussed about switching the default value to 2048 for
2.0 or 2.1 but couldn't find any trace of this, so I must have dreamed or
discussed it in person. I've run a quick check on the configs shared on the
list over the last two years and found this:

$ tail  -c80m Mail/lists/haproxy-ml | grep -o 'tune.ssl.default-dh-param[
]\+[0-9]\+' | awk '{print $1,$2}' |sort|uniq -c|sort -n

Thus it seems that the vast majority of users (exactly 86%) prefer to use 2048
which is also the one recommended in the warning. All I found on the subject
was in fact added to the doc by Rémi who implemented the tunable 6 years ago
(commit f46cd6e4ec), and he warned:

   values greater than 1024 bits are not supported by Java 7 and

   earlier clients

Do we still really care given how old this is now and that users can still
force the value if they absolutely need it ?

As such I think it's about time we change the default value to 2048 and get rid
of this annoying warning before 2.2 gets released (and at the same time 86% of
the users will be able to remove one cryptic line in their config). This way
those who don't know/need it will be more secure by default and those who need
it will still be able to.

Does anyone have any objection or alternate recommendation ?

Thanks,