I think what you need is a stick-table and peers setup.

https://www.haproxy.com/blog/emulating-activepassing-application-clustering-with-haproxy/

Sent from Nine<http://www.9folders.com/>
________________________________
From: Dave Hall <kdh...@binghamton.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 11:38 PM
To: HAProxy
Subject: IP binding and standby health-checks

Hello,

I'm new to this list and somewhat new to HAProxy.  Before posting I scanned the
archives and found a thread from 2015 that seems to apply to my situation:

IP binding and standby health-checks
https://www.mail-archive.com/haproxy@formilux.org/msg18728.html

The specifics of our setup:

  *   HAProxy Active/Standby pair using keepalived and a virtual IP.
  *   Load balance SSH connections to a group of user access systems
(long-running Layer 4 connections).
  *   Using Fail2Ban to protect against password attacks, so using
send-proxy-v2 and go-mmproxy to present client IP to target servers.

Our objective is to preserve connections through a fail-over.  It would seem
that it is necessary to use the virtual IP as the source address for
connections to the target servers.  The problem, though, is how get get HAProxy
not to use the virtual IP for health checks.  Since the HAProxy code-base has
likely evolved since 2015 I'd like to know the current recommended approach for
this situation.

Thanks.

-Dave

--
Dave Hall
Binghamton University

Information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is intended only for the
addressee(s) identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or an employee
or agent of the addressee(s), please note that any dissemination, distribution,
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender of the error.