Hi Mathias,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 11:38:06PM +0000, Mathias Weiersmüller (cyberheads
GmbH) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've accepted Willy's challenge from HAProxy.conf 2022, here is my shot:

Oh thank you!

> The silent-drop action was extended with an additional optional parameter,
> [rst-ttl <ttl> ], causing HAProxy to send a TCP RST with the specified TTL
> towards the client.
>
> With this behaviour, the connection state on your own client-facing
> middle-boxes (load balancers, firewalls) will be purged, but the client will
> still assume the TCP connection is up because the TCP RST packet expires
> before reaching the client.
>
> I think of it as another DDoS defense mechanism - this will save resources on
> the middle-boxes (connection table exhaustion). Subsequent packets from a
> silently-dropped connection will be already dropped by the upstream
> equipment, saving resources on HAProxy and the network between middle-box(es)
> and HAProxy.
>
> Comments welcome!

Well, I've reviewed it completely, I have no comment to make, the patch is
clean, minimal, documented, and it doesn't change any existing behaviour
so I see no reason for not taking it now. Thus I'm merging it. Thank you!