Hi Ilya,

On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 09:24:43PM +0600, ???? ??????? wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed some patches/commits related to "fix compilation on gcc-4/5..."
>
> I came to an idea to use official gcc images:
> https://hub.docker.com/_/gcc/tags?page=1
> that mostly works in Github actions except gcc-4.8 :(
>
> so...
> are we interested in (monthly ?) run of something like this
> https://github.com/chipitsine/haproxy/actions/runs/3801460101/jobs/6465951522

Well, I'd say it depends on the effort required for this. We often get
reports of breakage on older compilers, but at the same time they're so
rarely used that issues can sometimes last for weeks or months. And most
often it's a combination of a compiler and a specific architecture or
certain build options that breaks.

For example I cannot reproduce the issue you found above with gcc-4.7,
gcc-5.5 nor gcc-6.5 on x86_64. It typically means that it's in fact an
API problem in OpenSSL that was likely fixed at some point. Trying to
fix it by removing the const would probably issue warnings on other
compiler/openssl combinations.

FWIW I'm using 11.3 locally on my laptop, 9.5 and 6.5 on the build farm
and sometimes 4.7 on the build farm as well or when I build for less
common architectures such as MIPS. I seldom do some minimal builds on
4.4 when I feel brave enough to trigger a compilation on my old Atom
server, and used to have 4.5 on our AIX/PPC machine (which doesn't
boot anymore, dead disk).

I tend to think that the coverage is generally sufficient even for
older compilers, and that those who need to build with them either do
not care about an occasional warning or are not in a hurry and are
willing to report the issue and wait for it to be fixed.

Thus if you're interested in trying old versions, maybe it can make
sense to run on the latest 4.8. It was far from having been the best,
but RHEL7 shipped with it and it's still one of the reasons we sometimes
get feedback about build issues.