Hi Tim,

On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 04:12:57PM +0200, Tim Düsterhus wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 6/23/23 13:14, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > But you're aware that what you're asking for is a direct violation of
> > basic HTTP messaging rules stating that no agent may depend on chunk
> > delivery due to anything along the chain possibly having to buffer some
> > of the data for analysis or transformation. I just found it now, it's
> > RFC9110#7.6:
> >
> >    https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9110
> >
> >    An HTTP message can be parsed as a stream for incremental processing or
> >    forwarding downstream. However, senders and recipients cannot rely on
> >    incremental delivery of partial messages, since some implementations will
> >    buffer or delay message forwarding for the sake of network efficiency,
> >    security checks, or content transformations.
> >
> > Note: this text was already in RFC7230 9 years ago so it's not something
> > new.
> >

> It's interesting to note that this would also mean that "Server-sent events"
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Server-sent_events
>
> that are an "official" feature of web browsers / the JavaScript API would be
> in violation of the HTTP semantics.

Indeed, but similarly, unless I'm mistaken, SSE served as a basis for
Comet which was used as one of the examples of what not to do anymore
when WebSocket was being designed, so it's not surprising that it's
among those having been playing with the limits. I don't know if it's
still in use though (I'm really not familiar with these technologies).

Cheers,