Hi Abhijeet,

On Wed, Feb 07, 2024 at 01:19:27PM -0800, Abhijeet Rastogi wrote:
> Hi HAproxy community,
>
> I see that Makefile
> <https://github.com/haproxy/haproxy/blob/master/Makefile#L26> suggests that
> pcre1 is a recommended version to use, is that still true or a comment that
> got out of date?

I think the comment got out of date to be honest. I don't know what all
distros use, but I suspect pcre2 has become the de-facto standard one by
now.

> I was able dig multiple threads from the past:
>
> * Thead1 <https://www.mail-archive.com/haproxy@formilux.org/msg24201.html>:
> It doesn't look like it got an answer for the performance related question.
> Is that something we know today?
> * Thread2 <https://www.mail-archive.com/haproxy@formilux.org/msg41326.html>:
> Looks like we decided to keep pcre1 for as long as it continues to work.
> However, have we changed our recommendation to use pcre2 now?

OK I didn't remember this, then it clearly makes sense to update the
comment to say that pcre2 is the recommended one by now, and I guess
it should be the one distros use by default, hence the most tested.

If you're interested, do not hesitate to send a patch to move the
"recommended" word in the makefile to pcre2, and also to add a sentence
in the "INSTALL" file in the pcre section to indicate that pcre2 is
now the recommended option when available. Please just have a look
at the CONTRIBUTING file to see how to format your commit message
to save a few round trips, and don't be afraid nor shy ;-)

Cheers,