> IMO there is no difference whether it's a FILE or HEADER as
>> the standard merely controls in which _order_ to check different
>> dirs for the specified FILE/HEADER.
>>

> Not exactly. As I said, a HEADER doesn't necessarily have to exist as a
> file.

Sorry, but speaking of ANSI C, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Here's the standard:
http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n843.htm

--- [snippet from: "6.10.2  Source file inclusion" ]
Semantics

       [#2] A preprocessing directive of the form

         # include <h-char-sequence> new-line

       searches a sequence of implementation-defined places  for  a
       header identified uniquely by the specified sequence between
       the < and > delimiters, and causes the replacement  of  that
       directive  by  the  entire  contents of the header.  How the
       places  are  specified   or   the   header   identified   is
       implementation-defined.

       [#3] A preprocessing directive of the form

         # include "q-char-sequence" new-line

       causes  the  replacement  of  that  directive  by the entire
       contents of the source  file  identified  by  the  specified
       sequence between the " delimiters.  The named source file is
       searched for in an implementation-defined manner.   If  this
       search  is  not  supported,  or  if  the  search  fails, the
       directive is reprocessed as if it read
---

Difference between <> and "" is implementation dependent,
and it doesn't even mention "file". There we have it ;)

Brgds,