Now, when using macro substitution I don't know
what is the solution. It's pretty unfortunate
some tools use dots as part of the filename
(I've seen this causing problem with other
tools, too), but I have no solution for it this
time. I hope someone will post some ideas to
save the day.

I think in this cases:

1. Strings passed with the -ldflag cannot be parsed and left as they are.

AFAICT this is exactly what should happen now,
so I'm confused why in your case these things
are happening.

2. Do not expand if "``" chars are found and expect to be expanded at
 command execution.

BTW back then I managed to make tests with wxharbour
using macro substitution. In fact AFAIR it was the
reason I added this feature.

If you check wxharbour.hbc it has this, but it's done
via .hbc file, not .hbm/hbp. Maybe that creates the
difference. I'd suggest to try with wxharbour.hbc
and report what you got.

Brgds,