On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Przemysław Czerpak wrote:

hi,

 > > HB_COMPILER=gcc
 > > HB_BUILD_OPTIM=no
 >
 > Why do you disable optimization?

i don't know, i forgot already. the original intent was probably that
probably noone else builds with optimizations disabled, so at least my
tests should have a case for it.

 > You have quite precise error message here.
 > I've just checked that also in Suse11.2 llvm-ranlib does not create index
 > which can be recognized by llvm-gcc. It's probably bug which should be
 > reported to LLVM developers.
 > As workaround I used ranlib instead of llvm-ranlib to create indexes and
 > created full harbour build using HB_CCPREFIX=llvm- without any problems.

that is exactly what's happening, and according to llvm bugzilla, this
is what should be happening, see:

http://www.mail-archive.com/llvmb...@cs.uiuc.edu/msg03238.html

 > The difference is that such version used 'ar' instead of 'llvm-ar'
 > which created working library indexes.
 > Probably as dirty hack you can try to replace 'llvm-ar' with link to 'ar'
 > and HB_CCPREFIX will work for you without any problems.

so it may be that the solution is not HB_CCPREFIX after all, but a
separate llvmgcc target, which, for starters, only sets HB_CMP.

it seems that the supposed improvements using llvm start pouring when
it's also used for linking, see for example:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2008/06/msg137461.html

this could be added as a next step, once an llvmgcc target is in
there. HB_CCPREFIX seems absolutely not the way to go.

--
[-]

mkdir /nonexistent