On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Tamas TEVESZ wrote:

Hi,

> it seems that something is wrong with g++2.95 builds afterall.
> i took a fresh checkout of 13263, and tried building it on an older
> linux/i386 box that has gcc 2.95.
> (i changed HB_CMP to gcc-2.05 and g++-2.95 in config/linux/gcc.mk
> because this has no gcc and g++ links, but that's all that is.)
> both build fine, however the g++-2.95 build does exhibit the problem
> of hbrun not being able to start because:
> tres:~/tmp/h/harbour$ ./bin/linux/gcc/hbrun
> Unrecoverable error 9998: Harbour terminal (GT) initialization failure

I've just confirmed your results using RH7.3 with GCC-2.96.

> c mode is fine. just run a quick test with gcc 3.3, same situation
> there too (same box, same everything); gcc 4.0 is ok in both modes,
> and on other boxes gcc 4.4 is ok too.
> so i guess this makes it "g++ < 4 builds broken".

Yes, it's and it was exploited in last year. I was cleaning the code
adding support for g++ about five years ago using xHarbour repository
and above RH7.3 with gcc-2.96 and for sure it was working correctly.

> since now i am completely confused, would someone do a test build with
> g++ 2.95 (and perhaps gcc3 too) to doublecheck me? it'd be probably
> nice to know this both on linux and some other non-unixy platform too.

Using C++ initialization (HB_STATIC_STARTUP) or recently added
HB_INITSEG_STARTUP it works. The problem is only with
__attribute__ ((constructor)) used in GCC-2.x C++ mode (I haven't
tested GCC-3.x).
I think that we exploited this problem in this year.
It possible that it's also the reason of problems with SunPRO C builds
in Linux, i.e. it GPFs in hbtest because not all constructors are executed
and some symbol tables from .prg modules in HBRTL are not initialized.
Anyhow it does not have to mean it's Harbour problem. It rather seems to
be side effect of exploiting some limits in older GCC or GNU ld versions
or maybe modified link command. I'll try to look at it closely but I do
not promise that I'll give you the exact answer what is the reason of
problem.