On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Viktor Szakáts wrote:

hi,

 > >> What build settings are needed to build an x86 (i?86)
 > >> Harbour build on an amd64 host?
 > >
 > > HB_USER_CFLAGS=-m32 is a good start (assuming gcc or sunpro), but
 > > component autodetection will almost certainly be unusable (it'll pick
 > > up stuff for which no 32-bit libs are present).
 > >
 > > you'd best do this on centos (fedora too, perhaps -- they ship 32bit
 > > versions of most every lib); not a chance it'll (easily) work on
 > > debian-ish stuff.
 >
 > Thanks, I'll have a start with -m32.
 >
 > How is it possible to install 32-bit libs on an 64-bit system?

short if compiling by hand... i know of no such way. debian and ubuntu
only ships a quite small set of 32-bit libs just enough to run some
32-bit only stuff (adobe reader and the likes). hand-installing so
that it is in sync with the system libs (so that you only need one set
of headers, thus autodetect won't get fooled)... laborous.

 > Maybe it's also possible to add support for this case in
 > autodetection, but I'm in the dark ATM.

with red hat, it's quite simple, as apart from -m32, you don't really
need anything else, i think (well, obviously, you need to install both
the 32 and 64 bit versions of any given library, but these come with
the distro).

 > Switching to 64-bit Ubuntu (the distro I use) is also on the
 > table, but until I'm not sure about these issues, I don't
 > feel comfortable to make it.

ubuntu is linux for the masses. the masses don't need anything more
complicated than a wooden cube (and even that might be too confusing).
if you need anything more complicated than a wooden cube.. go figure
;)

if i wanted to do this, i'd first consider something redhat (can't
speak for suse at all, though).

--
[-]

mkdir /nonexistent