Hi All,

I'd like to gather opinions on switching default Harbour
Windows builds to UNICODE mode in next major release.

Advantages:
  - Runs more efficiently on NT-class OSes since
    we're using native API instead of ANSI wrappers,
    and the OS-level CP conversion is saved also.
  - Harbour level CP configuration is much easier for GTs.
  - Will run even more efficiently when implementing
    native UNICODE support inside HVM.
  - Some languages can only be supported in UNICODE mode.
  - We're in sync with all Harbour Windows builds and
    also with WinCE builds, which already have UNICODE
    enabled.

Disadvantage:
  - Apps won't run on Win9x OSes anymore. Here there
    exists a solution, unicows lib:
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688166.aspx

Notes:
  - UNICODE is already enabled by default for
    MSVC 2005 and upper, and WinCE. MSVC 2008
    and upper doesn't even support non-UNICODE
    anymore.
  - non-UNICODE can be enabled for custom Harbour
    builds anytime using build-time option:
       HB_BUILD_UNICODE=no.

Opinions?

Brgds,