From: "Viktor Szakáts" <harbour...@syenar.hu>
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:02 PM
To: "Harbour Project Main Developer List." <harbour@harbour-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Harbour] Error in SDDFB

New generation languages (Python, Ruby etc. and even Java) have shifted focus to
using ORMs rather than SQL directly. Now instead of explicit SQL
statements, ActiveRecord (Ruby's Object Relational Mapper) uses
something like

emp=Employee.new
emp.name = "Emp1"
emp.basic = 4500
emp.designation = "Programmer"
emp.save

I guess you're talking about this:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_mapping

Well, above example just doesn't even scratch
the surface. And it's in fact an example which
makes thing just much less efficient than it
normally is in Harbour. IOW it's adding extra
complexity without any benefit. This is how
it's done in Harbour:

Employee->(dbAppend())
Employee->name := "Emp1"
Employee->basic := 4500
Employee->designation := "programmer"
Employee->(dbCommit())

The advantage of ORM is that programmers can write database code that
are not specific to the back-end engine. This is also strikingly
similar to the Clipper concept of RDDs

So for me it's hard to understand why to reinvent
it, if we already have it by the name "RDD".

If we want to go beyond this and implement the whole
"ORM" buzzword, it's a whole separate project,
not just some extra lines of code in sqlmix.

Brgds,