** AUSTRALIA [and non]. R. Australia was the only major SW broadcaster audible
here with live coverage in English of the Olympic opening ceremonies Aug 8,
best on 6020 and 9580, but the latter cut off abruptly at 1358, as nothing will
get in the way of scheduled frequency changes. It was rather banal, however,
with basic geographical facts about each country, and rather lacking in visual
elements. They did at least pre-empt regular programming, so we wonder if RA
will have more live stuff from Beijing. BBC had a bit of the ceremonies after
1305 during Olympic Sportsworld, via 11750. VOA, CRI and RNZI were all in
normal programming, which for CRI means a lot about the Olympix, but not live
coverage.

Do we get to see it live in the USA? Of course not! NBC-TV holds it until 2330
UT prime-time. Since it`s a produced playback, maybe their commercial
interruptions will not blot out certain nations marching in as the recording
could simply be paused (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHAD. Good to hear RNT, 4905, as late as 0529 with latening sunrises, call
and response music Aug 8, 0530 into French announcements about chef d`état,
président de la république, who I suspect was the next speaker. No coup there
today, I assume (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. It`s 08-08-08 --- do the Chinese really believe that numerological
nonsense about lucky numbers?? And still plenty unlucky for victims of Chicom
jamming, Olympix or not, with Firedrake found at 1305 on 9300; at 1333 also on
7310, 7445, 9605, 9680, 9780, 9845, and at 1338 on 17565 --- and this was not
an exhaustive search by any means (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC, 6000, Aug 8 at 0522 in English had extremely low modulation with
hum. Had to turn the volume all the way up to hear it. At least WYFR is no
longer colliding on 6000 this season (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. Aug 7 at 1300, 11784.9 VOI was beneath 1) VOA, and 2) Firedrake,
but at 1331 check VOI was somewhat intelligible. About the same on Aug 8 (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MAURITANIA. No sign of 4845, Aug 8 at 0530, as I was getting Chad well on
4905. Still off after coup, I guess, altho some skeds show 4845 not supposed to
be on the air until 0630, a bit late for me (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** MEXICO. XEXQ, 6045, presumed, with vocal classical music, Aug 8 at 1327,
deep fades ranging from S5 to S9+5 on the generous FRG-7 meter. Wish I had
tried a sesquihour earlier. Julián Santiago Díez de Bonilla heard from the
station this week that they have improved their antenna location (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. Altho RRI was well heard Aug 6 at 1230 with the new transmitter on
15220, it`s still subject to poor propagation, which was the case Aug 7 at 1255
check, just barely audible.

I also monitored the Spanish broadcast I missed the night before:
Aug 7 at 2342 check: 9655 was slightly stronger than // 9745, nothing on the
others --- originally 9655 was Galbeni at 280 degrees, 9745 Tiganeshti at 247
degrees, so if the azimuths hold true, that would explain the difference now
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###