Season's greetings to all of you !

Make sure 2009 will make falling asleep more natural without the ever-present
temptation of turning your radio on and of getting out of bed by pure curiosity
during the last few seconds it takes to disconnect from the DXer friendly world
! This resumes well what I did three nights ago. DXing, DXing and...again
DXing, turning up and down both the LW and MW bands until around 5 o'clock when
I couldn't stand any sound other than my own breath ! A new way to start 2009
was to relog 1 or 2 seldom heard Latins during semi-auroral condx, while DXing
wasn't really above-average, but promising, though promising in vain as tonight
was extremely poor for both Latin MW and TA LW DX and the moderate CME didn't
turned my Montreal area QTH into a concrete based house with concrete roof and
a big window near the radio toward the south... Well, into the logs !...

Trans-Atlantic DX

162 FRANCE   France Inter, Allouis JAN 2 0607 UTC - noted in passing with
morning show in FF at a good level through moderate computer-like QRN. + JAN 3
0628 - promo for "Comment voyager..." trip and adventure-related px ->
"dimanche sur France Inter", then extensive traffic & weather reports, followed
by a short newscast about a 6 months jail sentenced for a youngster who stoled
a car, etc. Very good to fair. SINPO 45332 +JAN 3 0855 - w/ talk about the real
value of life, then greetings to the sociologist who made the speech, extensive
traffic and eather annc, time pips during the weather, then jingle leading to
nx. (Chiochiu-QC)

171 MOROCCO   Medi Un, Nador JAN 3 0355 UTC - at tune-in w/ a raï number
followed by warm comments by the DJ who introduced, both in FF & AA, the latest
track by HJ singer Juanes (which seems popular worldwide, even in my native
Romania). SINPO 35343 with a fair signal and very minor high-pitched growl from
a computer or from several computers in the neighborhood. The best LW broadcast
signal this evening ! When this one, usually 9575 isn't propagated and
vice-versa. 9575 is better during the greyline and 171 way before sunrise at
the tx-site and way after sunset in Montreal, at least it seems to be that way
according to my own observations. This is the only Moroccan that seems to be
received in the Montreal area on LW. The target of Azilal 207 is always buried
in NDB QRM; in fact, even marginary level audio wasn't heard (yet) from the
Azilal RTM outlet on 207 kHz. Well... +JAN 3 0406 UTC - up to a very good peak
right now (S5 over S7) playing a dance oriented raï vocal with exotic female
voice "Mon amour"; only the chorus is in FF, the rest of the tune is in AA !
+JAN 3 0424 UTC - with a musical request toward two lovers with mention
"...Florent Pagny sur Medi Un", then the soft-rock MoR vocal "Savoir aimer" by
Florent Pagny recorded again in duo with FF-Canadian singer Isabelle Boulay,
then the DJ greeted a Casablanca listener who requested a Raï duo. Good ! With
the CATV disconnected from upstairs, the only QRN consists of a slight
high-pitched growl, instead of the unbearable buzz that hammered reception on
this channel (and many others) just a few days ago ! This appears to be
bilingual AA/FF px with musical request of mainly more or less upbeat
FF/EE/SS/AA songs. +JAN 3 0452 UTC - almost completly lost due to tx-site
sunrise, but still hanging on with trad. AA mx ! (Chiochiu-QC)

183 GERMANY   Europe 1, Felsberg JAN 2 0345-0903+ UTC - ending the nighttime
talk show talking about the helpful relationship between animals and criminals
or autistic children (zootherapy). Then at 0400, "Europe 1 Info" begun with the
announcement of some astonishing events, for exemple the burning of cars around
the 31th of December with the burning rate being 30% higher than the past year
(1147 cars were fired up ! according to the Europe 1 anncr.) and also some
strange weather notes about the current temprature in the eastern suburbs of
Paris which was -8C. Weird, as the Gulf Stream should make exceptionnal
anything under 0 C, EVEN AT THIS time of the year ! Very good and still hanging
on at a poor level at 0903 UTC (03:03 AM EST). This was the loudest broadcast
signal on LW, while RUV-189 was apparently knocked out by the semi-auroral
condx... Still surprised to get this as even regular MW TAs such as Spain-585
were absent and Colombia-770 made several showings burrying the NYC powerhouse,
WABC. +JAN 3 2355 -  Very strong w/ end of a talkshow about wife complaining
that their husbands or boyfriends are too much into music (just like me!), then
an ugly FF chansonnette leading to the end of the show, followed by nx, sx and
wx, then "Si vous devez nous écouter sur les Grandes Ondes, rendez-vous
maintenant sur la FM" closing annc of the Germany-183 tx, then "Europe 1,
Europe 1" singed jingle, then switched abruptly to dead air after the first
tone of a coming song, then off the air for good leaving only a SLIGHT amount
of powerlines-like noise... Seems like moving the CATV leakage downstairs and
setting up WiFi for the computer definitively helped ! (Chiochiu-QC - Grandes
Ondes is a FF synonim for Ondes Longues or LW/Longwave - Bogdan)

189 ICELAND   RUV, Gufaskalaar JAN 1 0505 - playing the cosmic rock hit
"Paranoid Android" from the 1997 Radiohead's cosmic rock album "OK Computer"
along with obscure (to me!) Icelandic and English mx selections; beautifool
singed jingle sqeezed in between most of the songs. Killed around 0519 UTC by a
weird computer-like noise which is obliterating reception on 189 kHz since,
along with a brief flurry of semi-auroral condx. (Chiochiu-QC)

252 IRELAND   RTE Radio One, Clarkestown / ALGERIA   Alger Chaîne 3, Tipaza JAN
1 0045 UTC - EE talk and EE music o/ FF px. Both poor with NDB QRM reduced as
much as possible. SINPO 22232. Ireland is a BRAND new visitor for me (although
I don't keep a LW logbook) ! (Chiochiu-QC)

Pan-American DX

550 VENEZUELA   Mundial YVKE, Caracas, Distrito Federal JAN 1 0612 UTC -
Assumed this one w/ salsa mx in mess. 2nd time this season ! It is slightly
easier to receive in Montreal, now that semi-local CHLN in Trois-Rivière, PQ
has vacated the channel, though a weaker semi-local, WEVD in Waterbury, VT can
be a problem. WEVD is also on 550. (Chiochiu-QC)

555 ST KITTS   ZIZ, Basseterre JAN 1 0613 UTC - fair in slight domestic splash
from the weaker semi-local WEVD-550 with a woman MoR pop vocal. The first
showing of this station in about a week ! + JAN 3 0105 - in and out, good
peaks, w/ Caribbean music (mainly soca, calypso and reggae). SINPO 44533
(Chiochiu-QC)

580 VENEZUELA (maybe) YVMJ La Fe, Maracaibo, estado Zulia / DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
 HIAF, Radio Monte Cristi, Monte Cristi JAN 1 0103 UTC - possible ID as "Radio
Mar" (for Maracaibo ?), then lost to back-to-back bachata music from Radio
Monte Cristi. Radio Monte Cristi was also audible on the Sangean CST-818 PK's
LW Magnetic Loop combo when the antenna was set to apmplify the highest
frequency and was turned in order to null out CFRA Ottawa, albeit slightly
weaker than on the Sanyo MCD-S830 barefoot. A half-hour later, HIAF was
destroyed by WTIG or WTAG (I don't do domestic DXing) fading up to a very good
near-local strenght. (Chiochiu-QC)

600 CUBA   CMKV, Radio Rebelde, Urbano Norris JAN 1 0644 UTC - and of a salsa
tune about the city of Santiago then apparent canned ID "desde 1958, somos la
emisora de los grandos momentos de la nación " w/ escepts from Fidel's speech
-> "? ? ? tiempos ?, "hacemos la información; hacemos de la información, la
vida, Radio Rebelde, La Havana", then restrospective w/ old Rebelde airchecks
huge followed by a mixture of Cuban salsa and Latin dance mx, over/ under the
WICC/CKAT mix // 5025 which was even stronger (almost local-like). // 5025 was
heard on the Sangean CST-818 connected to long-wire in our yard instead of the
home-made PK's Magnetic LW loop +JAN 2 0207 UTC - sports px in progress, strong
and on top of channel // 610. (Chiochiu-QC)

610 CUBA   CMAN, Radio Rebelde, Bahía de Honda JAN 2 0207 UTC - good and
slightly o/ the domestics with Cuban baseball, in // w/ 600. Rare, though it
used to be semi-regular a few seasons ago ! (Chiochiu-QC)

670 CUBA   CMBA, Radio Rebelde, Arroyo Arrenas JAN 1 0710 UTC - Fair in local
splatter and IBOC hash, w/ mx // 710, 600 and 5025. SINPO 32242 (Chiochiu-QC)

710 CUBA   CMW, Radio Rebelde, La Julia JAN 1 0712 UTC - Good mixing w/ WOR w/
trop mx // 710, 600 and 5025. The WOR career helped pushed down the local
690/730 splatter. SINPO 42432 (Chiochiu-QC)

750 VENEZUELA   YVKS, Caracas, Distrito Federal JAN 1 0202 UTC - at tune-in
excited SS chatter, mainly, but not exclusively music related, the M anncr ment
how lovely it is to listen to great YV records by artists such as Reynaldo
Armas, then played a roghly 1-minute excerpt from a Reynaldo Armas tune, then
back to SS chatter. Over/under nulled WSB and slight local CKAC-730 (nulling
out WSB which loops SW from Montreal makes the CKAC next-to-adjacent channel
splatter QRM a bit more problematic, but huge at times (like always !). Severe
crowd noises (since part of this New Year's Eve party was broadcast from
outdoor) prevent me from clearly hearing the countdown. It's always nice to
listen to YVKS-750 on Dec. 31 because it is the only time of the year when they
play some music. +JAN 2 0258 UTC - Man annc briefly talking about the YV
citizen's right to fight against the popularist Chavez regime, then a canned
announcement for an upcoming px that I can't described much since the huge
signal at tune-in (JAN 2 0258 UTC) quickly faded away. Anyway, here is the
canned annc for those interested in the way Latins are IDing: "a continuación,
le presentamos la reposición de un programa de archivos de RCR, Palabra esta
radio; el siguiente programa educativo y cultural contiene elementos de
lenguage, salud y sexo tipo A y de violencia tipos A y B y puede ser escuchado
por niños, niñas y adolescentes sin supervición de sús madres, padres,
representantes o responsables; RCR presenta Conversaciones, una producción
nacional independente de Jesus Gamgouchi, certificado de productor nacional
independiente, numero 3625, para dar sú pimiento a la obligación impuesta por
el articulo 14 de la Ley de Responsabilidad Social", then the canned annc
continued "a partir de este momento, un encuentro ? ? ? protagonistas ? ? ?
artistas, Conversaciones con ?", during the end of the canned announcement the
signal quickly faded away and when the px begun for good, the readability was
almost nil. YVs are required by law to describ aspects of the content of their
shows before airing them, it's part of La Ley Resorte of our lovely psychopath
Hugo Chávez. Is RCR-750 having a website ? My favorite YV "pest", Coro-780, has
got one a few months ago and their Internet stream is more reliable than the
other Kys 101.5 Caracas stream I'm used to, when the DX isn't coming in and I
like to virtually travel to YV-land. (Chiochiu-QC)

760 COLOMBIA,   HJAJ, RCN Cadena Basíca, Barranquilla, departamiento del
Atlantico JAN 2 0715-1103 UTC - in and out, more in than out, good peaks, w/
back-to-back HJ and YV cumbias, some quick "RCN Radio" IDs between the tracks
and brief nx at ToH. WJR was quite easily nulled out, although not always
totally. SINPO 33523 in WJR's null ! (Chiochiu-QC)

770 VENEZUELA   YVKK, Valencia, estado Carabobo JAN 2 1042 UTC - Tentative !
Man in Spanish w/ possible mention of "Venezuela". Poor in mess. Could also be
Cuba-770 since Fidel Castro and Hugo Chávez both have a solid friendship...
Listening to the tape once again may not proove to be that useful as the
reception was mushy, but I would keep trying for this as it would be my best
bet for the Carabobo state, I think. (Chiochiu-QC)

770 COLOMBIA   HJJX, RCN Cadena Basíca, Santa Fe de Bogotá, Districto Capital
JAN 2 1041 UTC - playing "La Gonza de la China" by Los Melodícos, a Venezuelan
"orchestra bailable" that was popular from their start in 1958 through the
years, not only in YV-land, but in the HJ-land too. "China" or "chinita" is a
diminutive for a smal "muchacha", for a rather small cute chick, frequently
used in Venezuela (c.f. the classic YV pasaje "Chinita de Maracaibo" by
Chelique Sarabia). Clearly // 760 which fading out, as this one did rise above
WABC. Unusual fading pattern ! Earlier, around 1026 UTC, when obscure (to me!)
cumbia selections were played, both Barranquilla-760 and Bogotá-770 were equal
in strenght. Relog ! Rare ! A rare moment when I'm able to listen to two
different Colombian MW outlets during the same listening session ! (Chiochiu-QC)

770 CUBA   Radio Rebelde, unID QTH JAN 2 1041 UTC - in mix with WABC, HJJX and
poss. YVKK with lively SS announcements in // w/ 5025. Didn't pay attention to
these announcements as I concentrated my attention on 770 rather than 5025 were
these announcements were more than intelligible, they were local-like !
(Chiochiu-QC)

780 VENEZUELA   YVNM, Radio Coro, Coro, estado Falcón JAN 2 0928 UTC - end of a
cumbia song, then ID, TC followed by a canned announcement for the Romantica
7-80 px: "De lunes a viernes, escuche Romantica Siete Ochenta, Romantica Siete
Ocheta donde se escuchan las canciones (?) (?) (?) y la música de ayer y de
hoy, marca el (?) (?) (?) (?) y tus artistas favorita por Radio Coro Siete
Ochenta, primera en música"; that annc was followed by an abrupt switch from
eclectic trop grooves (cumbia, salsa, vallenato, etc.) to plain trad YV mx
(mainly joropos and pasajes which are two llanera mx styles). At 0934 "se
siente nuestra música en Radio Coro Siete Ochenta" (you can feel our music on
Radio Coro Seven-Eighty) followed by a local TC as 05:04 ! Not sure if the "se
siente nuestra música (...)" annc is canned or live by what is called in
Venezuela "locutor de guardia". Almost QRM in WBBM null -> SINPO 34323. Are
there any other northern South Americans on 780 ? The oldest repport of Ecos
del Torbes, YVOD I saw in IDXD dates back 2002, though I see they are still
active on 780, even though SW 4980 is off since several years. (Chiochiu-QC)

1110 VENEZUELA   YVQT, Carúpano, estado Sucre JAN 2 2233 UTC - Assumed this
station from hearing it on a regular basis during BETTER AURORAL CONDX w/
SS-sounding mx at a very threshold level way u/ a good but fadey WBT ! Later,
WBT was highly disturbed by IBOC hash from WTAM Cleveland (off the back of the
Sanyo MCD-S830 barefoot), so condx aren't auroral anymore like they were during
the early morning hours (see below). (Chiochiu-QC)

Domestic DX

640 WNNZ   Westfield, MA DEC 31 1810 EST - huge, local-like, w/ very slight
QRM, w/ talk about the Palestinian conflict inside an NPR feed from 88.5 MHz
FM. Obviously on daytime power for several days ! Usually, at night, this one
is almost completly destroyed by Cuba, residual CFYR Mojo Radio as well as
occasionally YVQO and Guadeloupe. SINPO 44554 The same level on JAN 1 and,
tonight -> JAN 2 EST / UTC (Chiochiu-QC)

740 CFZM   Toronto, ON JAN 3 0113 EST - obviosuly this w/ MoR female vocal.
Excellent with minor splatter from nulled as much as possible local CKAC-730.
Probably not a big deal to hear, but it is for me ! In spite of the CKAC
splatter, 740 is quiter than channels like 780 were a loud pulsating noise is
on and off every 3 sec. Tonight, at this time, MW is more crowded with weird
noises than LW, though I'm tired of hearing only Europe 1 at a listenable
level, so I'm writing this repport instead of DXing. (Chiochiu-QC)

780 CFDR    "Seven-Eighty Kicks" Yarmouth, NS JAN 2 2143 EST - end of a great
melancolly-driven female country vocal (and country is the last thing I listen
to, though it's a tad better than punk-rock full of falsetto vocals), then "We
are all about...Classic Country, 7-80 Kicks" followed by an ugly western tune I
deleted from tape while recording Morocco-171 over it ! Very good, mixing with
megapest WBBM Chicago, IL in null of a threshold YVNM-780 signal and in null of
splatter from local-like WABC-770 and in null of splatter from true local
CJAD-800 ! SINPO 42543 (Chiochiu-QC)

1110 WBT   Charlotte, NC JAN 2 1814 EST - Unbelievably bad reception, still
acceptable for a DXer like me, but with some annoying IBOC hash from residual
WTAM-OH. SINPO 42543-2 (Chiochiu-QC)

1140 CBI   Sidney, NS JAN 3 1745 EST - w/ the end of a taped concert by the
great French Canadian Quebec superstar Danie Bélanger along with Arianne Mofatt
and Marc Berry, then the man annc talking about the concert tradition that CBC
Radio One have been doing this for "...twenty years on CBC" and non-IDing as
"You are listening (?) (?) (?) CBC Radio One". Poor at best in null of
local-like WBBR-1130 and a very threshold WRVA-1140 signal. The only CBC on the
frequency that will move to FM very soon AND very fast !! I found the Canadian
Maritimes to be more elusive than the New England domestics being low or medium
powered, New England broadcasters are almost all "pests" to me ! (Chiochiu-QC)

I was still awake at 2:45 AM local (EST) the last few nights with the Sangean
CST-818 and its PK's Magnetic LW loop in a quiet spot, away from the computer
hash that is audible ONLY in the IMMEDIATE vecinity of the computer I'm using
right now, upstairs, inside my rather big bedroom. Most of the LW TAs have
faded away with the exception of Europe 1 which is still amazingly strong
(though fading out at 0248 EST) and, on mediumwave, the Latins have been very
poor tonight. The only time condx were distinctively auroral were earlier the
other morning when WABC was jammed by the big Santafe de Bogota flagship RCN
Cadena Basíca outlet on 770 kHz. In fact, the "madrugada" of Thursday, condx
were as much auroral as they have ever been in 2008-2009 yet, but the season is
not finnished, so I can always hope and wait for better LAm MW DX condx.

I did thought about calling a friend, who used to work as a security guard at
the Musé d'art contemporain de Montreal, who likes both oldschool Haitian
kompas and Colombian cumbias, but it was too late to disturb him. He knows I'm
a maniac of World Beat, but I have not told him about DXing yet. At least, I
have the tapes ! As far as tapes are concerned, they begun to be harder and
harder to get. Is it easy to record to record your DX into MD or CD ? I know of
an astrologist who tape her sessions using burned CD-ROMs.

The highlight of the last few days DX sessions ? Three: hearing tentative
Venezuela on 770 which is the best bet for the Carabobo Venezuelan / YV state,
positively IDing Colombia on the same channel, by paralleling it with the 760
regular visitor in Barranquilla and hearing Medi Un with an almost
entertainment quality reception on 171 kHz with a request px and a friendly M
anncr playing a wide blend of Moroccan & Algerian raï, Libanese pops as well as
FF, EE and a SS pop/rock tune by Juanes of Colombia which, nowadays, is famous
worldwide. Its the best reception I ever had of Morocco-171 and it comes of no
coincidence as I had replaced cable upstairs with WiFi, though terribly
reducing the amount of noise on LW (even though it's still far from perfect, TA
LW reception improoved dramatically). That LW loop is one of my best alltime
Xmas presents !

I'm so impressed with the PK's Magnetic LW loop, that I'm wondering if a
Magnetic loop is a decent antenna for pulling in low-powered Bolivians and
Peruvians on 90 or, at least, on 60 and 49 meters SW. What is the best loop
antenna for the tropical bands ? The LW (longwire - I love to use
abbreviations) aimed south does not bring anything SA other than a few ZYs
(Brazilians) on 60 and 49m.

Also, very important, I had my mind cooking tonight while I'm listening to
Europe 1 fade away for the night on 183 kHz and writing at the same time (now
162 is fading too with tx site sunrise in Allouis) about RCR. I had two tapes
full of RCR signal's peaks and, while I'm very slow w/ QSLing, would dearly
love to send them to their Avenida del País en el Paraiso Edificio RCR address,
but has the address changed since I called them in 2000 ? Is there a postal
code or "codigo postal" I need to know before submiting my tape to them ? Also,
I would like to write a small explanatory letter, since my SS isn't that bad,
but a tape is better than a wrtitten letter, because stations love to know how
they sound like away from their tx site, right ?
According to Bruce Conti, the Toronto's semi-pest, semi-DX (pest because it is
an extremely strong nighttime signal with bad music and little DX interest and
pest because it is still barely 10 kHz away from a Montreal local) outlet CHWO
"Prime Time Radio" switched to CFZM "Zoomer Radio"... I didn't had the patience
to listen to them for several minutes, but I was excited at tune-in, for just a
couple of seconds, as they suffered very little splatter from the nulled as
much as possible CKAC-730 major local "pest"... I hear some awful IBOC hash
from 710 WOR on 720 kHz with weak semi-nulled WGN, though not as strong as I
would have thought...

Tonight, condx are abysmal for both the TAs and LAs. The weak signal out of the
moderatly difficult domestic CBI-1140 strongly suggest this and the absence of
Croatia-1134 was also disappointing as this is SLIGHTLY MORE REGULAR than
Spain-585... Only one minor highlight this evening:-> hearing the closing
announcement of Europe 1 with their usually strong signal, this time without
that awful CATV QRN ! Hearing Morocco-171 with a poor, but listenable signal
right now for the best LW broadcaster of the moment (0154 UTC, JAN 4) !

This repport is brought to you by Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu DXing from
Pierrefonds (Montreal's West Island), QC using a Sangean CST-818 rx and a PK's
Magnetic loop for longwave as well as a Sanyo MCD-S830 barefoot for mediumwave !

May the good DX be with you dear Risto Kotalampi, as well as all the other
hard-core-DXer wishing 2009 to be, at least, a decent year for MW Latins, as
their SW counterparts are closing down fast making mediumwave DXing a vital
hobby for the gringos that we are !...
Bogdan Chiochiu
Btw.: I wonder why my logs haven't appeared, as I did sent this message twice
and it didn't appeared...