Warm greetings to all of you !

I'm in a big rush right now, trying to attend a party and looking forward
changing the setting in my own room (I wouldn't have access to the computer for
a short while, except maybe the one downstairs to chat with the Venezuelan
DXers which, I hope, have already purchassed the PK loop for longwave
listening)... I'm not too used with the keyboard downstairs and condx don't
look too primising for another long report soon either ! Anyway, here are my
latest logs:

Trans-Atlantic DX

162 FRANCE   France Inter, Allouis JUL 20 0313 - end of a reggae-rock French
song, then into talk regarding a Britton summer festivity and a contest
offering a radio to the listener who knew something about this Britton
festivity. Fair. (Chiochiu-QC)

171 MOROCCO   Medi Un, Nador - logged, details not taken. (Chiochiu-QC)

183 GERMANY   Europe 1, Felsberg JUL 22 0245 - carrying the same Top 50
memories program for the 25th birthday of the French countdown TOP CINQUANTE...
They seem to have dropped their heavy and almost exclusive news/talk format.
(Chiochiu-QC)

198 UNITED KINGDOM   BBC Radio 4, Droitwhich JUL 20 0250 - relaying BBC World
Service with a World Beat program... Heard some nice acoustic flavoured
Afropops... Fair in AM Narrow mode to avoid QRM from low-powered local beacon
on 201 kHz. Best ever reception this summer yet ! (Chiochiu-QC)

207 GERMANY   Deutschlandfunk, Münich JUL 20 0145 - Presumed with classical
music noted at a fair level... Got briefly disturbed by a srong buzz, then
faded out for good... The best I've ever heard on 207 kHz yet... I was on the
verge of logging this one ! (Chiochiu-QC)

216 FRANCE   RMC Info, Romoules JUL 20 0310 - noted in passing at dawn
enhancement. (Chiochiu-QC)

234 LUXEMBOURG   RTL, Beidweler and/or Junglister JUL 20 0307 - heard with
Philippe Lafontaine's French Belgian "Coeur de Loup" (Wolf's Heart) classic,
then man with ID, time-check, an input about the music played, then introduced
the Samuel and Garfunkel "Smokey Robinson" classic. Also well heard around 0300
at the top-of-the-hour but was buzy reviewing my tape so that I won't delete a
vital aircheck, so I missed the top-of-the-hour announcements. The recording of
the Philippe Lafontinae - Samuel and Garfunkel spoken announcement was posted
on the web ! The clearest I got them was on 233 kHz in AM Narrow rather than on
234 kHz in AM Wide mode to avoid splatter from adjacent channel
non-directionnal beacons ! 2nd best ever reception of the most difficult French
LW outlet to get at my location ! The clip will be uploaded at
www.21centimeters.com and has already been uploaded by myself on
(Chiochiu-QC)

Pan American DX

750 VENEZUELA   YVKS Radio Caracas Radio, Caracas, DF JUL 20 0335 - woman in
Spanish talking about Caracas. Good and mixing with WSB. (Chiochiu-QC)

760 COLOMBIA   HJAJ RCN Cadena Basíca, Barranquilla JUL 22 0245 - w/ a man
doing a speech via the phone regarding war issues. Good to quite poor in a more
or less solid WJR null. Threshold on the Sanyo MCD-S830 barefoot, so the PK
loop undoubtedly helped ! (Chiochiu-QC)

1150 unID   JUL 22 0234 - Spanish talk regarding "El Salvador" not sure if
religious or geographical related. Fair-good but way under the domestic pileup.
Probably an ethnic domestic rather than a long-sought Central or South
American, though who knows for sure better than God the creator of nighttime
skywave ? (Chiochiu-QC)

Additionnal comments:

I decided to take the Sangean ACS 818-CST and the PK's Shielded Magnetic C-LOOP
HDSM 150-450 with me on a short ride toward a quiet neighborhood. I wasn't
dissapointed at all. At home, except for France-162, most of the LW and MW
reception is plagued by growls appearing on the most interesting channels.
However at the spot I stayed I could get my best ever reception of Germany-207
(still presumed as I wasn't rewarded with an ID, unlike Sylvain Naud north-EAST
of me, but hey !...) and my 2nd best ever reception of Luxembourg-234... I
certainly doubt Sylvain Naud could get it on 233 in AM Narrow mode as he has a
megapest on 230 kHz, but on 234 in USB (my Sangean has BFO which is like USB,
but, unfortunatly, the readability is almost useless as far as original AM
signals are concerned - still it is very nice for listening to ham
transmissions). Here, 234 has a S5 high-pitched growl annihilating everything !

After the exceptionnal evening of Sunday when both the A and K indices were
hovering right at 0, conditions deteriorated, but Latin American signals didn't
get really enhanced, except maybe a tiny bit, like the past night when I got a
mysterious Spanish signal on 1150 kHz, an area of the mediumwave band I don't
check too often because of IBOC hash and also because of growl from HDTV sets
and / or computers surrounding us.

A bit off-topic, but I've heard that Canadian HD is already on and in two years
our analogical TV outlets will switch off forever ! Is it true ? Is anyone in
Canada reading this stuff that could get me some insights on the Canadian
situation of HDTV ? I know that a HDTV can cause awful noises... I have such
all the time on 570, 770, 910 (moved there from 900), 1110 (bye bye Carúpano),
1170 (bye bye Cartagena !) and many others I don't remember since I seldom DX
the upper half of the mediumwave band ! That being said, I was lucky to get my
1150 kHz unID Pan-American (though it could have been a North American domestic
DX signal) ! This in addition to IBOC... 570 is a very interesting channel,
maybe the most interesting one in the 500s, yet the high-pitched growl even
disturbs nearby WSYR in Syracuse which is a nighttime pest here in the Montreal
area ! This fall until about early November I could get out in the dark to DX,
since my Sangean ACS 818-CST isn't too bad of a receiver, but forget trying to
find a quiet spot in our neighborhood for LW and MW DXing during the Canadian
winter which is awful with the temperatures constantly at -30 Celsius during
most of the past winter... The type of growls I witness seems very similar to
the awful growls that disturbed even local LW outlet on 153 kHz when the mother
of one of my mom's friends had the TV on... what can I do in order to have this
stopped ? Is anyone else plagued with noises ?

It is unlikely I will be able to send another report before the next week, but
I will try to DX as much as I can... The active conditions may pay off, though
condx are only slightly auroral as I still have the ever-awful New England QRM
to deal with... It also seems the sun is already beginning to setting faster...
I can't wait for August which is the best summer month for long-haul reception
of long and mediumwave. My best domestic DX on MW occured during August of 2006
when I briefly got CHRB from Riverside, AB on 1140 kHz !

This report is brougt to you by Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu, DXing from
Pierrefonds (Montreal's West Island), PQ / QC using his Sanyo MCD-S830 along
with the PK AM Loop for mediumwave and the Sangean ACS 818-CST / PK's Shielded
Magnetic C-LOOP HDSM 150-450 kHz combo for longwave

May the good DX be with you !
Bogdan Chiochiu