Radio Heritage Foundation
www.radioheritage.net
April 13 2011

Community Radio helps
rebuild New Brighton
Christchurch [NZ] after
February Earthquake
_____________________

Just over a month ago, the Wellington [NZ] based Radio Heritage
Foundation had the idea of bringing a mobile radio station to support
the eastern suburbs of Christchurch.

In less than ten days, a licence was granted and Southland
broadcaster Chris Diack had moved a mobile radio studio into the main
street of the seaside suburb of New Brighton and Radio New Brighton
was on the air on 102.1 FM.

In the weeks since, Radio New Brighton has become an integral part of
the eastern suburbs recovery and rebuilding process, with locals
calling in to the studio to chat about lost pets, hot shower
facilities, stores reopening, public meetings, children's events and
much more.

School children from the Central New Brighton School where the mobile
studio is parked perform live singing, poetry and jokes on the air
and send dedications to their teachers. Locals with no previous radio
experience find themselves on the air hosting their own shows in
minutes.

Radio Heritage Foundation chairman David Ricquish says "this is just
the kind of local community radio we had in mind when we saw the need
emerging for more local news, information and reassurance in eastern
Christchurch in the weeks immediately after the February 22
earthquake."

"Our international board members have decades of experience with
emergency radio broadcasting in Africa, Asia and the Pacific and were
able to give us some good pointers on how to make this work such as
getting local people involved as soon as possible" he adds.

He says the support of existing local low power FM radio stations in
setting up the station was crucial to its early success, along with
amateur radio operators and students from the NZ Broadcasting School
whose facilities were in the cordoned off CBD. Telecom provided free
broadband and other links very quickly, and the local school agreed
to the mobile studio being on their premises within sixty seconds.

The Radio Heritage Foundation, holder of the radio licence for 102.1
FM, now wants to see a permanent community radio station, run by
locals, established in New Brighton once the current emergency
broadcasts end.

"The mobile caravan can't stay there forever so locals now have a
great opportunity to create their own community radio station to
support the arts, culture, business and the great seaside lifestyle
of this community" says Mr Ricquish, whose family have lived in the
area since 1950. "We'll be delighted to help establish a strong
community group we can partner to keep local radio in New Brighton"
he adds.

The Radio Heritage Foundation is a registered non-profit organization
connecting popular culture, nostalgia and radio heritage and its
global website is www.radioheritage.net.

Another of its 'Helping Rebuild Christchurch' projects involves
restoring the original 3ZB radio studio and transmitter building in
New Brighton in time for its 75th anniversary in 2012.

Contact: i...@radioheritage.net