Let us see if this message goes through.

Hello Carmen,

I don't know if your entire message came through, as it looks a little cut off in the beginning. So in your bandscan from Bishop Playground in Quincy, MA (according to Google), you have these.....pirates? The FCC does not list any stations there.

Interesting that Lumiere is exactly on 1700 kHz in your list. The Haitians have a huge diaspora in the cities you mentioned and many have washed up on the shores of Miami as well, in fact, I would say there are probably more in Miami and southern Florida than your other cities combined. The simple fact is that it is closer to their shores than the others. The same for the Cuban community.

I don't know if I would call 22.05 kHz +/- carrier CD quality. More like splatter and distortion since the average AM radio was not intended for more than 10kHz, and the stations are only allowed an occupied bandwidth of 10 kHz, hence our spacing. There are two ways to get CD quality on mediumwave: DRM and IBOC. And even then, it won't be true CD quality like you might get with FM IBOC. Kahn and C-QUAM are high fidelity, but not CD quality, and there is a lot of phase noise with both. I can't imagine any of these stations could afford these methods, but for C-QUAM or Kahn, and that modulation shown in your pic is outside of the bandwidth for those modulation methods.

As for Lumiere, that is how I had potentially ID'ed the station last night because the audio and ID's fit what I had heard. Lumiere is in Haiti with FM stations and WRTH lists several MW outlets as well.

My concern with your list is whether or not these stations have the output power and antenna system (even skywave) to radiate more than a few miles from where they are located. I suspect they are FCC Part 15 stations with powers of 100 mW or less, or in some cases "carrier-current" or campus stations. If you have any information on powers/antennas, it would be helpful, as with the aforementioned, it is all but impossible that the signal would make it to Florida or even PA.

The websites of the stations you provided mention frequencies, but never powers, and Voix Divine has stolen the call letters of a station in Syracuse, NY.

Thanks for the input and help.

73

Al

an area with significant Haitian diaspora. Montreal, Northern New Jersey,
Boston, perhaps even Miami.

there is a significant MW expertise, although i expert there are a few "Arnies" or
"Elmers" if you will - roughly half my local stations an ID voiced by the character
audible in
  http://soundcloud.com/unaudible/energie

to get you started, a bandscan at 42.27°N 71.03°W reveals:

R. Concorde 1.58 MHz   http://radioconcorde.com/
R. Energy   1.62       http://www.radioenergyboston.com/
R. Nouvaute 1.64       http://www.radionouveaute.com/
Voix Divine 1.67       http://radiovoixdivine.com/
Bel Top     1.68       http://www.beltopboston.com/
CreoleInter 1.69       http://ambiancefm.tripod.com/
R. Lumiere  1.70       http://radiolumiere.org/
R. Soleil   1.71       http://www.radiosoleilinternational.com/
R. Un       1.71       http://www.radio1boston.net/

on AM, several signals are CD quality, with audio to 22.05kHz above and below
the carrier - http://blog.whats-your.name/public/1690mondieu.png

a number of these use Zafemradio as a streaming host. you may wish to listen
for || to facilitate ID
http://zafemradio.com/clientsradio.html

on FM i find these kreyol "emissions"

HaitiFM      87.9      http://haitifm.listen2myradio.com/
Bel Top      88.5      http://www.beltopboston.com/
PlanetCompas 89.3      http://www.planetcompas.com/
R. Energie   90.1      http://www.radioenergyboston.com/
Bel Mizik    91.3      http://belmizikfm.com/
Vision Star  91.7      http://radiovisionstar.com/
Radio1       98.9      http://www.radio1boston.net/
R.TeleBoston 100.1     http://radioteleboston.com/
R. Flex      100.3     http://radioflexfm.com/home/
Continentale 102.1     http://www.power1021fm.com/

this omits spanish-speaking 1.59, 1.61, 102.9 cape verdean 107.1 and english
96.5 101.3 105.3 106.1 as main topic here is haitian-speaking stations