Please reply to zlian...@yahoo.com

http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/radio-free-sarawak-is-taking-rest-break.html

adio Free Sarawak is taking a rest break after last week's Malaysian elections.
Transmissions were suspended from
May 7, until further notice. Radio Free Malaysia is also reported to have
closed down. I expect to see both these
stations operating again in the future.

The public face of RFS is Clare Rewcastle Brown. In a recent email, she said:
“We are just taking a pre-planned rest like we did after the (2011) Sarawak
election. We are such a small team
and have worked non-stop for a year to provide people with information and
support up to the election and now we
are taking a month to re-charge our batteries.”

She went on to say that the team would "re-group soon".
An interesting article in The Star Online news outlet tells the story, and
mentions RFS receiving the Free Media
Pioneer Award during World Press Freedom Day on May 3. RFS began broadcasting
in November 2010. Brown said: "We
were not expecting the award, which was a huge boost, but my staff are only
human and they were promised a
holiday and they are getting it! We will be back, I am sure, bigger and better.”

Some feedback from listeners at the station's website included these comments:
Clare, Michael, Christina, K Burung Tiong, Papa Orang Utan, you are big
celebrities in the Sarawak. Please,
please don't shut down RFS for good. I witnessed longhouse folks looking
forward to gathering around their little
radios each day. You are much loved. RFS gave people the platform to voice what
they have been feeling all these
times, and it liberates and empowers them. The state election will be here
before you know it. Please tell your
listeners how they can help you continue RFS.  (Linda)

This is awful news - free radio stations are essential to democracy. I hope it
will not be too long till you are
back on the air. If anything, I hope that there will be free radio stations for
all parts of Malaysia one day!
(lovemalaysia2)

Perjuangan belum selesai, thank you RFS you all did an extraordinary
sacrifices. So long we meet again. WE SALUTE
YE !!!!!  (Anak Melikin)

The website also stated:
"While most PR supporters are still reeling from the results of the GE13 amidst
widespread rigging that are
essentially acts of treason, activists and ordinary people alike are not giving
up on booting out the BN
government The have set their sights on the 11th state election that will have
to be conducted latest by early
2016."

One radio but lots of listeners! Longhouses are perfect for communal listening

The Star Online also reported:

The radio’s broadcast was a major part of Pakatan’s campaign in the lead-up to
the 13th general election. Sarawak
PKR vice-chairman See Chee How yesterday said he fully expected RFS to return
“after a long break”. “We are very
sure they will return,” See said.
See, a native land rights lawyer who won the Batu Lintang state seat in 2011,
said RFS was the most effective
means of communicating with rural voters. He said PKR has for the last two
years distributed close to 50,000 free
receiver sets in the rural areas to encourage more people to listen to the
station.
“The station was one of the most effective ways for us to communicate. It
allowed listeners an opportunity to
listen to alternative news. It also helps rural listeners to feel connected to
other villagers and towns,” See
said.
There is an excellent article on RFS's International Media Award in the
Malaysia Chronicle, published on Friday
May 3. It includes some insights into how the station operated and the impact
it had on its targeted audience.
Recommended reading. You'll find it at:

http://delicious.com/gr_greek1/zak (all my pages )