----- Original Message ----- From: "Glenn Hauser via Hard-Core-DX" Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:17 PM
Subject: [HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs April 27-28, 2016

** CHAD. 6165, April 28 at 0542, no longer hearing Ndjamena

So are they completely gone again from SW?
Thorsten Hallmann in Germany reported April 24.

Not on air on 6165 kHz at 20.07 UT.

FYI, the way I do this on the R75, which came to me from Brandon Jordan
accurately calibrated, is in USB or LSB mode, pick a frequency to three
decimal places ending in zero on one side of the frequency to be measured,
so it makes an audible het. Then tune to the other side to hear the same
pitch and note the frequency there. Then punch in the exact frequency on
the other side and hear if it match pitch. If not, make slight adjustments
until they do. Then subtract the difference, divide by two and add the
result to the lower measurement (or subtract from the upper position), and
there you have the exact carrier frequency halfway in between. Depending
on the strength it may also be possible to listen for a zero beat, tuning
up and down in 1-Hz steps, but I think there is greater accuracy by the
method described. (On the NRD-545 a similar technique, but it`s slightly
out of calibration, so I am having to make adjustments of 1 or 2 Hz,
somewhat less precise.)

U.K.  11874.9215  odd frequency from Babcock Woofferton site on April 28 at
1945 UT again, S=8-9 in Doha Qatar site.

Rather used again an older B6124 Marconi Communication Systems Limited, MCSL
transmitter, not RIZ Zagreb latest GPS technology.

Last time, Dave told the community:

"Regarding last week and WOF the reason that .... kHz was off freq was,
that a Marconi B6124 was carrying the service as the normal RIZ sender was
being maintained. The Marconi B6124 sometime do lose their freq lock from
the 1 MHz standard.

RIZ Zagreb senders are locked to GPS.

SWEDEN [non]. 11874.935, April 27 at 1929, off-frequency S3-S6 signal
stands out like sore thumb, as I bandscan in 1 kHz steps with BFO on R75.
Sounds like vocal HOA or at least African music, then vaguely familiar
sounder, 1930 drumming and tonal language.

HFCC A-16 shows 11875 at 1900-2000 is IBRA via Woofferton UK, 300 kW, 170
degrees to CIRAF 46 in ``Und`` language. But would be unusual for WOF to
be that far off frequency by -65 Hz --- suspect transmission has been
switched to someplace like RSA or UAE capable of achieving this. How about
it, Dave Porter?

What do other listings show? Aoki, also Woofferton: since this is Day 4 =
Wednesday: Going from Ful to Zar at 1930. EiBi agrees , but with abbrs.
curtailed to FU and ZA. So what are they, really? FU is Fulani/Fulfulde,
spoken in Nigeria, Niger and Burkina Faso. ZA is Zarma/Zama spoken by 2
Mega in Niger. CIRAF 46 is Nigeria & Niger, and westward to the coast
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

This report despatched at 1817 UT April 28