Sent: Friday, September 01, 2017 6:50 PM
Subject: [dxld] Glenn Hauser logs August 31-September 1, 2017

YEMEN [non]. 11860, Aug 31 at 1751, an unusual time for me to be monitoring,
so I concentrate on Republic of Yemen Radio, just before it makes a drastic
site change. Now the signal is better than usual at other dayparts, S9 with
flutter, chanting mixed with talking over it. Is this intentional or am I
hearing two sites mixing already? I don`t think so. At 1757:38* cuts off,
but BFO detects a JBA carrier remaining, past 1800, so apparently that`s
still ROYR`s other much inferior site from our angle. BTW, the K index was 5
at 15, 4 at 18 UT amid G1 storms.

Without any official info ever emerging, the continuing assumption is that
one, probably both are from Sau`di Arabia, backing the ousted side in the
terrible civil war. One Riyadh, the other Jeddah, but which is which? Ivo
Ivanov posted as of August 26:

``Republic of Yemen Radio via two different transmitters
0300-0900 on 11860 JED 050 kW / non-dir to N/ME Arabic
0900-1800 on 11860 unknown tx / unknown to N/ME Arabic
1800-2300 on 11860 JED 050 kW / non-dir to N/ME Arabic
2300-0300 on 11860 unknown tx / unknown to N/ME Arabic
http://swldxbulgaria.blogspot.bg/2017/08/reception-of-republic-of-yemen-radio_26.html
``

Aoki lists ``Radio Sanna`` [sic] as all 50 kW ND from Jeddah for 24 hours,
but in 3 segments, starting at 00, 04 and 18.

EiBi lists 0400-1758 ARS-j for Jeddah, and 1758-0400 merely ARS = defaulting
to Riyadh.

Ed Sylvester, USN, now based in Riyadh, reported July 29 at 1016-1020 that
11860 was 44434, ``transmitter in Jeddah``. We were hoping he would visit
the Riyadh site to absolutely confirm it is coming from there at certain
other hours.

Wolfgang Büschel reported, as on WORLD OF RADIO 1890: ``I checked 11860 kHz
channel between 1755 and 1800 UT today on Aug 4th. At remote web SDR in Doha
Qatar the signal was straight S=9+10dB till SWITCH OVER at exact 1757:59 UT,
when a very poor tiny signal left on that channel as tiny S=3-4 level in
Qatar SDR remote post.

So, - as assumed already, Jeddah site in distance close to Yemen is
used at local daytime 0400-1757 UT, and Riyadh site at night time at
1800 to 0400 UT, with different antenna characteristic, latter in
order to cover Yemen at Sana'a and on southern peninsula tip Aden too.
73 wb``

Riyadh has lots of transmitters of 250 and 500 kW, so even with direxional
antennas, it`s a bit strange that all monitors abroad seem to be getting
much stronger signals from 50 kW ND Jeddah if that is really the case. I
tend to go with the opposite like Ivo, Riyadh until 1758, then Jeddah (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

This report dispatched at 1650 UT September 1