That is why the effort to utilize VistA as a resource for the support of healthcare must take an "Enterprise View and Life Cycle Principled" approach. That means developing introductory material that addresses how VistA (and its M technical infrastructure) address first the Conceptual Content and the advantages of implementing that contant using the described technical infrastructure. The M(UMPS) Community worldwide is positioned to be able to do this where others have taken a fragmented approach; there are numerous examples worldwide regarding the various perpsectives an how these have been managed within the M and VistA settings. But this knowledge must get into the educational system (also includes the industry and commecrial components). The myriad detailed implementation tidbits need to be collected an organized so the audience
(from management overview to working programmer) can get at it at the level needed. The community should note that John Glaser at Partners has produced the only book on Strategic Information systems planning for healthcare (and by application how those general principles apply to the use of the M infrastructure). World VistA and the NE MUG need to put there heads together to get active the kinds of forums that used to be present at MTA meetings. Moreover, Nancy Anthracite's recent comments about reactivating the standards (MDC) activities as a vehicle for documneting the common conventions for continued evolution of M as a robust platform for information management in the Enterprise View, Life Cycle Principled perpsective. As both Wolfgang and Terry point out the task is substantial and is no "free lunch" (which is an illusion that many fall for). The M Community and WV can show the world how knowledge and discipline can optimize the the benefits of applying Information and Communication Technology to healthcare and also how to optimize the synergy between the healthcare benficiaries and the industrial Suppliers.

While resurrection of MTA meetings as we knew them once may be history, the MTA community could use a variety of forums to re-create the the rich sociology bewteen Users and Suppliers that once existed and evne enhance and enrich it with the international collaborative experience that will benefit all. I urge WV to seek to stimulate these pathways of effort with some degree of concurrance as individual and organizational participants exist who can make them quickly productive.