Jim Self wrote:

This is pretty much as I thought. I have been interested in EsiObjects for
quite some
time, but have not had the time and energy to get into it deeply yet,
particularly as
until recently I had thought that the clients ran only on Microsoft. With
all the work you
have been putting into opening it up lately it looks like I will have to
give it a serious
look again in the relatively near future.

When you do, feel free to use me. We need more people working with it and
helping to evolve it.

I am surprised to learn that the EsiObjects data wrappers for VistA are
read-only. (Or did
I misread that?) Still, I would like to know more about them and especially
for
considering the possibility of accessing them via M2Web and a full web
browser based
client (HTTP, HTML, Javascript, XUL, XML, CSS, etc.) for EsiObjects.

They are read only because 'write' was simply not implemented, not because
it could not. The projects were written for government organizations and
they simply do not permit write-back to their databases without extensive
DT&E (testing). Additionally, the requirements for the projects were read
only.

The wrappers have a history that will be explained when they are released.
They provide an appropriate interface under certain circumstances. We are
looking at different approaches to accessing the data. For example, we
started a File Manager wrapper in the past that we have resurrected. There
are many different ways that we want to make available.

What advantages do you see in writing the server-side applications in
JSP/Java compared to
MUMPS? or PHP, Python, Perl, etc?

None - other than a great deal of work was put into the Java Gateway
including the tools to generate the proxies. Also, its what our customers
wanted at the time. As I mention before, a PHP gateway has been developed by
the small company in CA. All I have to do is convince them to submit it to
Open Source.

Terry L. Wiechmann
www.esitechnology.com
978-779-0257