Thanks. I implemented everything mentioned and I will show it as the next meeting. I think they will like it. As it is now, having abandoned CPRS, I can set up multiple Vista databases on one server - each connecting to a different port. I can use linux boxes in the remote locations running simple SSH to connect. I have met all HIPAA security issues brought up. I think I'm finally done and it won't be a full year on this until next week.
-Shaun

K.S. Bhaskar wrote:

Ben --

The best advice I was ever given when learning to play pool was to call
my shots, "Watch this."  How could I possibly live up to the
expectations set by a statement like "Your best information will be
coming from Bhaskar soon?"  8-]

Shaun --

If what you are trying to do is create a user who can do nothing on the
system other than run VistA, what Ben has is an excellent example of how
to set up a user who does nothing other than run VistA.  As soon as s/he
logs in, s/he runs VistA, and as soon as s/he exits VistA, s/he is
logged off the computer.

The only suggestion I would have is to trap signals and prevent the user
from getting to the shell, with something like

 trap exit SIGINT SIGTERM SIGQUIT SIGHUP

and prevent a SIGSUSP with something like

 stty susp \000

Put these right at the beginning of the shell script.

GT.M by itself is not designed to be a login shell, and I am amazed that
it even partially worked for you.

I am not sure I like Ben's choice of /usr/local/gtm/log for $gtm_log.  I
would keep /usr/local/gtm and everything under it unchanged, and point
$gtm_log somewhere else, such as /var/log/gtm or /var/log/gtm/<version>
(remember to create it first with mkdir).

If you are concerned about users pressing ^C when running VistA, the
recommended way is to trap it in M application code.  If this is not
permitted, then instead of starting VistA with mumps -run ^ZU, start it
with mumps -run ^xyz where xyz.m is something like:

xyz     Use $P:(NoCEnable)
        Do ^ZU
        Quit

If between Ben and me we have not answered your question, please ask it
again.

Regards
-- Bhaskar