Bill,

Thanks for your reply.  Comments below:

--- Bill Walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

> The costs for the EMR systems I've looked at
> recently (GE, A4, NextGen, and
> Misys) are in the $30-60K per physician range.  It's
> a little dangerous,
> IMO, if you're going to use numbers like this to be
> specific WRT what size
> practice you're talking about.  It's important not
> to set yourself up for
> strawman arguments against your case.

Good point.  I guess I forgot the difference between
per group and per doctor expense.  But actually, the
numbers you give are worse.  We have 15 doctors in our
group, so my part of $150k would be less than $30k.
But both are still FAR MORE than I am interested in
paying.

> > But unless my EMR will somehow let me instantly
> > access a lab/study ordered by another physician in
> > another city, I don't see how this could happen.
>
> How often does this happen?  And how much money does
> it save each time?  20%
> is a big number if we're talking about reductions in
> the "average."  This
> example won't get it anywhere close.

Well, I would say that during 20-30% of admissions to
the hospital, tests are reordered because older
results can not be obtained in a timely manner.  In
the office setting, this probably only happens 1-2% of
the time.

> > With HIPPA nervousness abounding, no one
> > will release records without a written signature
> from
> > a patient, and I not heard of any quicker
> electronic
> > solution to this problem.
>
> This is another one of those circumstances where I'd
> recommend you use this
> argument with caution.  HIPAA definitely allows the
> circumstance you
> outlined above.  ...

Well, in my mind the HIPAA think is entirely out of
hand.  I have personally been told at two different
medical institutions that a patient (my father) was
not allowed to view the medical chart because of HIPAA
issues.  In far too many minds, HIPAA means a steel
wall around information, and only the privilaged few
can get through.

[snip]

> In my mind, there's only one reason for
> community-based physicians to an EMR
> system: ROI.  That could take several forms.
> 1) getting paid faster for services rendered
> 2) getting paid more for services rendered (CMS is
> actually talking about
> this)
> 3) reduced expenses (As discussed above, the typical
> justification along
> this line is bunk WRT community-based physicians.
> BUT... reduced
> malpractice premiums are an obvious possibility.
> Unlikely, but obvious.  I
> say unlikely because a) the data I've seen re:
> reduction of errors relates
> to errors in a hospital setting, not a office-based
> setting, and b) the way
> the insurance market works in general)
> 4) business growth (i.e., patients decide which
> physician they use at least
> in part as a function of whether or not the
> physician uses an EMR system)
>
> In my mind, number 4 is the most likely scenario on
> the horizon.  And I'm
> working a plan to try to accelerate that scenario.

I agree with you.

Thanks again,

Hope to talk more soon,