Nancy,

I wonder if this issue is important past 1-2 months of
life.  My understanding is that one only needs to
correct for premature birth for the first few months.
After that, so many other variables come into play
that the factor can be ignored.  Thus you are putting
a great deal of time to handle an issue that might not
come up all that often.

But then again, maybe the pediatricians that you are
working with will tell you that it IS an important
issue.

Regarding changing EDC's etc., this is an obstetric
issue.  I.e. you set an EDC for delivery based on LMP
or assumed date of conception.  Later an EDC can be
changed *IF* the US-based EDC differs enough from an
EDC based on LMP (there are rules guiding when to
change an EDC based on US findings.)

But I thought you were dealing with the *child*.  By
the time the child is born and discharged from the
hospital, there should be a assigned gestational age.
A Dubowitz score can also used for determining newborn
maturity.

So the issue I see you dealing with is how to
accurately record the "age" of the child.  My
recommendation is to have your software record the
date of birth, and let physicians put the "fudge
factors" into the narrative of their note.  If you get
too complicated, you lose sight of your goal.

That's my 2 cents worth... :-)
Kevin

--- "Nancy E. Anthracite" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://my.yahoo.com