ARCHEOLOGY:
This series begins a discussion of medical account receivable. RBRVS is an
important part of billing. Therefore, a recap of how RBRVS came about seems
in order. This series is personal recollection. A few details may be a
little off the mark - though not enough to undermine the message.

Medicare launched about the same time I entered practice - 1965. My
community had five surgeons and five primary care physicians. Since the
primary care physicians had far more than we could do and the surgeons were
often idle, we abdicated most of our procedures to the surgeons. Then,
general practitioners could generate more revenue in the office than in the
ER or the hospital. During this period, the proceduralists began escalating
charges . not difficult because the co-pay was forgiven and the patient paid
NOTHING for proceduralists. I had countless patients tell me about wonderful
proceduralist X, who meanwhile was not complying with the law. In those days
GPs/FPs (including me) also did procedures/surgery.

Surprisingly, the feds started closing in first on primary care. Our first
experience was around 1969 when suddenly we were getting paid $2.00 less for
each office visit. On investigation, they had learned we were doing a
urinalysis each visit, a standard practice in those days. They concluded
since patient visit X had no real need (diagnosis) for a urinalysis and the
allowed fee for urinalysis was $2.00, the OV fee could be reduced from $7.00
to $5.00. This fee was never recovered and we treated it as a "learning
moment." In the meantime, the inflationary spiral of surgical fees continued
unabated, while primary care physicians could no longer file for lab not
done in our offices and we still looked to the patient to pay the
deductible.

The early 70's brought price controls. Those of us who had followed the AMA
plea to hold the line on fees voluntarily were hit hardest by the freeze.
(The AMA purportedly had a promise from President Richard Nixon of no fee
freeze.) Physicians who had continued unabated fee increases were two steps
ahead when fees were frozen. After the freeze thawed, all (Medicare) fees
were gauged by a medical price index (MPI) - and went forward in lockstep -
with no chance of closing the gap with the proceduralists. For instance, at
5% inflation, a $1000 surgical procedure was allowed a $50 increase and a
$30 office charge was raised only $1.50. While it seemed fair that everyone
was on the same schedule, it isn't hard to see that a $1.50 increase in
disposable income didn't compete well with $50. The leverage created by that
divide was a remarkable asset to the proceduralists and a burden to the
system. The feds then threatened, base on breach of law, to reduce procedure
fees for those not collecting the co-pay - not well received by
proceduralists. This environment brought us to the dysfunctional system that
gave birth to RBRVS.